Wikiposts

criminal record?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: criminal record?

Originally Posted by mscrashed
Dear Les,

Thanks for your response. I wish you could help more with following INFO.
1. It occured in 2005 ( just a month before his VISA expiry date)
2. Yes he admitted in Form 80.
3. He had no work and no money to pay the fine, that is why he left.
4. what do u mean by mitigating cirmcum?
5. Now he is able to pay the fine. is it ok if he pays now?

What are the chances his VISA will refuse for this?
"Mitigating circumstances " basically means Why did'nt he pay the fine? Was there a good excuse - such as he was sick and went to hospital and they flew him home straight from there?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:00 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

My apologies for the length of this post, but probably because I'm also legally qualified I'm always reading the legislation (comes in handy when I'm running appeals... ).
Thats interesting, (mainly cos in my past life I used to do Subject Access police checks back in the UK!). I don't think we've ever had a definitive answer on here about how bad a sentence would be a bar.
The place to do your homework is in s501 of the Migration Act. The legislation also says "may" not "must" so there is wiggle room in theory but no-one ever got their a*se kicked for rejecting an application.

If I were putting the submission together this is one part of the part of the Act I'd be using:

In considering whether a non-citizen is not of good character against subparagraph 501(6)(c)(i), decision-makers should take into consideration the following:

(a) the nature, severity and frequency of the offence/s;

(b) how long ago the offence/s were committed;

(c) the non-citizen’s record since the offence/s were committed, including:

• any evidence of recidivism or continuing association with criminals;

• a pattern of similar offences; and/or

• pattern of continued or blatant disregard/contempt for the law; and

(d) any mitigating circumstances such as may be evident from judges’ comments, parole reports and similar documents.
and this is one of the parts I'd be fighting:

7) For the purposes of the character test, a person has a substantial criminal record if:
(a) the person has been sentenced to death; or

(b) the person has been sentenced to imprisonment for life; or

(c) the person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more; or

(d) the person has been sentenced to 2 or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is 2 years or more; or

(e) the person has been acquitted of an offence on the grounds of unsoundness of mind or insanity, and as a result the person has been detained in a facility or institution.
I hope that a careful reading of the above clarifies some of the issues.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:15 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Dear Les,

Thanks for your response. I wish you could help more with following INFO.
1. It occured in 2005 ( just a month before his VISA expiry date)
2. Yes he admitted in Form 80.
3. He had no work and no money to pay the fine, that is why he left.
4. what do u mean by mitigating cirmcum?
5. Now he is able to pay the fine. is it ok if he pays now?

Pollyana is quite correct. Mitigating circumstances are good reasons why a certain set of events occurred, preferably beyond the control of the person they involved.

If I had been advising your friend I would have told him to pay his fine well before he lodged his 175 application so that it didn't look like the only reason he was paying it was because he was lodging another visa application.

Without doing some proper research I couldn't answer that question.

Now he is able to pay the fine. is it ok if he pays now?
I've never come across that, principally because I advise people ahead of lodging an application. When people have come to me in strife in the past I have been able to successfully negotiate a desired outcome in certain circumstances, but not always.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
My apologies for the length of this post, but probably because I'm also legally qualified I'm always reading the legislation (comes in handy when I'm running appeals... ).

The place to do your homework is in s501 of the Migration Act. The legislation also says "may" not "must" so there is wiggle room in theory but no-one ever got their a*se kicked for rejecting an application.

<<snip>>

I hope that a careful reading of the above clarifies some of the issues.
Thanks