Wikiposts

criminal record?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

wannagonow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default criminal record?

hi quick question would someone qualify for a visa for oz having spent a few years in prison for affray? hoping to get in on 5 point investment. age 40 thanks
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: criminal record?

Originally Posted by wannagonow
hi quick question would someone qualify for a visa for oz having spent a few years in prison for affray? hoping to get in on 5 point investment. age 40 thanks
Very unusual to get such a long sentence for affray.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affray

Bottom line is that with a sentence exceeding 12 months you have a "substantial criminal record" and you will have to do a lot of explanations (circumstances, subsequent rehabilitation) to even have a chance of a visa.

Also, it's not clear whether you even qualify, there's no "5 point investment" visa.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:58 am
Just Joined

It was more like attempted murder from what i understand, (not enquiring for myself BTW!), also not on sol, modl or csl?

cat in hells chance???

Last edited by wannagonow; Jan 25th 2009 at 10:03 am.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth did you say "affray" when you meant "attempted murder"? There is - as a general rule - an enormous difference between these crimes.

No point even thinking about the character issues unless there is a migration pathway:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/How_to...k_in_Australia

Certainly, obtaining permission to migrate (if there was a visa option available) would be very difficult with this conviction. Not necessarily impossible, depends on the circumstances, but very difficult.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...9character.htm

He probably would need a visa to visit Australia, as well.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Think it was inbetween the 2?! should be interesting to see how they get on...

Last edited by wannagonow; Jan 25th 2009 at 10:30 am. Reason: i can't spell!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:29 am
JAJ
Retired

Think it was inbetween the 2?! should be intereting to see how they get on...
Regardless, as a general rule:

more than 12 months in prison = big problem getting visa.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks, i shall pass this onto them, they are adament they qualify.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, i shall pass this onto them, they are adament they qualify.
They may qualify on skills and age grounds, but not necessarily on character grounds.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think it was inbetween the 2?! should be interesting to see how they get on...
As JAJ says - huge difference between the two. Affray is usually the charge used after a minor fight!
They should get advice from a registered agent, and make sure that they are completely upfront about asking whether the agent has experience cases with serious criminal convictions.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

mscrashed is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

One of my friend applied for a 175 VISA and he is worried for following.

What are the chances of getting a VISA with a conviction for Using Fake Drivers License? Court Fined $1800. he had no work rights at that time and had no money to pay it.and he had to return home because his VISA was expiring. and he left Australia without paying the fine. So now what are the chances getting a VISA with a Conviction and unpaid Fine?

Need your advice on this guys.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:35 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

From my experience and knowledge together with a modest amount of research today I know of no cases where someone with a 12 month prison sentence in their past has gained a visa. Several have given false information to gain entry to Australia but have subsequently been thrown out under s109.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:47 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

One of my friend applied for a 175 VISA and he is worried for following.

What are the chances of getting a VISA with a conviction for Using Fake Drivers License? Court Fined $1800. he had no work rights at that time and had no money to pay it.and he had to return home because his VISA was expiring. and he left Australia without paying the fine. So now what are the chances getting a VISA with a Conviction and unpaid Fine?

Need your advice on this guys.
I could not provide meaningful advice without a far greater knowledge of your friend's situation, but speaking generally:

1. A conviction for using fake documents very definitely goes to 'character'
2. Having left Australia without paying the fine, even more so
3. Were there mitigating circumstances?
4. How long ago did this occur?
5. Have there been any major changes in your friend's life since then?
6. Has he disclosed this information on Form 80?
7. If not, he needs to read ss101, 106 and 109 of the Migration Act.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

It was more like attempted murder from what i understand, (not enquiring for myself BTW!), also not on sol, modl or csl?

cat in hells chance???
Not so long ago you would have got in for free and had free travel.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
From my experience and knowledge together with a modest amount of research today I know of no cases where someone with a 12 month prison sentence in their past has gained a visa. Several have given false information to gain entry to Australia but have subsequently been thrown out under s109.
Thats interesting, (mainly cos in my past life I used to do Subject Access police checks back in the UK!). I don't think we've ever had a definitive answer on here about how bad a sentence would be a bar. Would you suggest that anyone in this position still has a chance and might benefit from hiring an agent?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

mscrashed is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Les,

Thanks for your response. I wish you could help more with following INFO.
1. It occured in 2005 ( just a month before his VISA expiry date)
2. Yes he admitted in Form 80.
3. He had no work and no money to pay the fine, that is why he left.
4. what do u mean by mitigating cirmcum?
5. Now he is able to pay the fine. is it ok if he pays now?

What are the chances his VISA will refuse for this?

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
I could not provide meaningful advice without a far greater knowledge of your friend's situation, but speaking generally:

1. A conviction for using fake documents very definitely goes to 'character'
2. Having left Australia without paying the fine, even more so
3. Were there mitigating circumstances?
4. How long ago did this occur?
5. Have there been any major changes in your friend's life since then?
6. Has he disclosed this information on Form 80?
7. If not, he needs to read ss101, 106 and 109 of the Migration Act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.