Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by ancpar
Hi there Daveand Linda,
We too are a part of Club PIP, welcome, it will be nice for everyone to meet up once we are all there, personally can't wait.
Pat & John
Something else to look forward to, meeting each other! Sorry you other guys but we are told constantly that Perth is the most isolated City in the world but they forget to saw how sunny and friendly the place is.

Im sure the East is lovely too and we do hope to visit and tour one day. We quite like the sound of being one of the Pips we only need Gladys to join us now!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

MAZIE is an unknown quantity at this point

HI TO ALL CALMED DOWN A LITTLE NOW BUT A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT MEDICAL FOR HUBBY AS HE HAS ASTMA NOT SURE IF THIS WILL FAIL THE MEDICAL ALSO DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF WE DOWNLOAD THE FORM 26 OR DO WE FILL IT IN WHEN WE GO FOR MEDS BOOKED FOR 2nd SEPT ALSO WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO PAY SECOND VACS WHEN DIAC ASK FOR IT GOT ESTATE AGENTS CALLING NEXT WEEK TO PUT HOUSE ON THE MARKET HOPE WE CAN GET A GOOD PRICE WILL NO DOUBT BE BACK SOON WITH MORE QUESTONS SORRY FORGOT TO ASK CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN THE PROCESS WHEN OUR GOODS ARRIVE IN AUS (FINGERS CROSSED)THANKS MAZIE
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 6:39 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MAZIE
HI TO ALL CALMED DOWN A LITTLE NOW BUT A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT MEDICAL FOR HUBBY AS HE HAS ASTMA NOT SURE IF THIS WILL FAIL THE MEDICAL ALSO DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF WE DOWNLOAD THE FORM 26 OR DO WE FILL IT IN WHEN WE GO FOR MEDS BOOKED FOR 2nd SEPT ALSO WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO PAY SECOND VACS WHEN DIAC ASK FOR IT GOT ESTATE AGENTS CALLING NEXT WEEK TO PUT HOUSE ON THE MARKET HOPE WE CAN GET A GOOD PRICE WILL NO DOUBT BE BACK SOON WITH MORE QUESTONS SORRY FORGOT TO ASK CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN THE PROCESS WHEN OUR GOODS ARRIVE IN AUS (FINGERS CROSSED)THANKS MAZIE
Hi Mazie,

Its best to download medical & x-ray forms (26 & 160) and fill in the applicants side before the actual medicals, saves you time & there are questions you may need to look up stuff for.

The 2nd vac payment, when it comes to it, is dependant on the exchange rate at the time, in past times it was cheaper for a while paying in London but I think thats not true anymore. When the request comes you need to ask the question again.

When your goods arrive in Oz, there are a couple of charges which can be extra, as not all shipping companies include them, there is a port handling fee, a possible quarantine inspection charge and depending if they find anything, charges for cleaning etc.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Matt
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have asthma yet sailed through my medical, after all you will be paying for your prescriptions so that won't be a drain on the Australian finances. They appear to be looking more for stuff like TB, HIV etc. So your husband shouldn't worry about it.
Julie
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mazie, we may be old on the CPV thread but we are not all deaf so you may want to switch off your caps lock.

Regarding payment at the moment it would cost £1700 per person extra to pay in the UK rather than pay the current exchange rate in Perth. This does change each day but the UK rate is set at $1.57 to the £ until 01/01/11 and the current rate is in the low $1.70s if you pay in Perth.

Watch the rate on Monday to see if the Oz election spooks the market for an improved rate of exchange, any jump above $1.75 would be a good rate to change some money.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Oldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really niceOldtimers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Something else to look forward to, meeting each other! Sorry you other guys but we are told constantly that Perth is the most isolated City in the world but they forget to saw how sunny and friendly the place is.

Im sure the East is lovely too and we do hope to visit and tour one day. We quite like the sound of being one of the Pips we only need Gladys to join us now!
We are too are heading to Perth (Visa granting permitted!) so would love to join the 'Pips'. Our Family live in the Rockingham area - so hopefully we will be heading for Secret Harbour or Port Kennedy or thereabouts. Is anybody else heading for this area?

Just to update our current situation - we put the bungalow on the market 10 days ago and have a 2nd 'viewer' booked for to-day. Our 1st viewer wants to bring her daughter back with her for a second visit so things look promising!

We are now anxiously scanning our emails each day in the hope of getting word that we have been allocated a Case Officer - it's so stressful! I assume we get the email and not our sponsor?

We too were worried about getting too much negative response (we are aged 69 & 70) once we went public with our plans, but the good comments have so far out-weighed the bad ones, so that's encouraging!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

yomvard is an unknown quantity at this point

We used PSS as our daughter had used them when she shipped out and recommended them very highly. We were more than pleased with their service a good team of guys who took 2 days wrapping and packing, delicate glasses and ornaments in fact everything really well (better than what I saw of Crown on the TV programme
They didn't seem to mind how much packaging materials they used or left with us. Also as ours is a two part move they are storing the bulk of our things until we go at a reasonable price (cheaper than storage companies) they will come and pack up what we have at the flat although we chose furnished and were lucky to find all nearly new furniture in a newish flat but still managed to take lots of boxes with us to the flat.

The crew was helpful,, friendly and we would ask for the same crew again. They did anything for a bacon sandwich. There were a couple of large plants which we didn't know what to do with so one of them took them away for this Mother in Law for Mother's Day. They made moving house and the experience so much easier. I didn't get quotes from elsewhere. Of course this is our own experience and everyone will have a different story to tell.

But dare we say we actually enjoyed those couple of days and it was less trauma than we expected having been in the house for 29 years and cleared the loft and culled what we thought we would take twice. Our daughters told us to bring our dining room suite and a couple of other items of furniture but we still had 72 items or boxes. Everything is itemised and you are given a copy. You also have to fill in a form and try to put a value on things for the insurance which has to be paid for at the time of booking I think.

Sorry if I rambled but hope this is helpful.
JHi Barbaran,
Brilliant recommendation, just what we needed. Its always better to have first hand experience. Thank you so much. Good luck with your visa and move. It seems everyone is going to Perth, are any oldies going to Melbourne?
regards
Sandy
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnschofield10
We had that problem, i.e. selling. In the end we have decided to rent it out until the market picks up, even if that takes a couple of years and it will provide an income for us to rent in Oz.

John & Marg
Hi John & Marg,

Yes that is the other option but hubby not at all keen......will the tennents destroy it, will they squat and not pay the rent......you get the drift. We want to do the jump next summer so if not sold by then we will have to think about it again.
regards
Sandy
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oldtimers
We are too are heading to Perth (Visa granting permitted!) so would love to join the 'Pips'. Our Family live in the Rockingham area - so hopefully we will be heading for Secret Harbour or Port Kennedy or thereabouts. Is anybody else heading for this area?

Just to update our current situation - we put the bungalow on the market 10 days ago and have a 2nd 'viewer' booked for to-day. Our 1st viewer wants to bring her daughter back with her for a second visit so things look promising!

We are now anxiously scanning our emails each day in the hope of getting word that we have been allocated a Case Officer - it's so stressful! I assume we get the email and not our sponsor?

We too were worried about getting too much negative response (we are aged 69 & 70) once we went public with our plans, but the good comments have so far out-weighed the bad ones, so that's encouraging!
Hope all goes well with the sale...we too have a bungalow overlooking Robbie Williams's house....maybe we might have the same luck and get it sold quickly. Cant put it on market until next Spring as have two trips to Aus over the winter... oh the lovely sun!!!
regards
Sandy
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oldtimers

Wel done you the house on the market is a huge step into the unknown as you won't be buying another here. We will be adding you to the Pips list and won't it be fun all meeting up. Rockingham is lovely and went there to see Penguin Island. Nowhere is too far in Perth we are putting together our email addresses so will send you mine. The next thing is to find out when we are getting there. According to the letter sent on receipt of application they email us directly. That will be a shock won't it? Deep breathe when you get it as Maizie seems on overload. Good Luck with a buyer!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

johnschofield10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yomvard
Hi John & Marg,

Yes that is the other option but hubby not at all keen......will the tennents destroy it, will they squat and not pay the rent......you get the drift. We want to do the jump next summer so if not sold by then we will have to think about it again.
regards
Sandy
Sandy, must admit I felt very much the same but what other choice is there? We definitely would not want to leave it empty and not moving out now is not an option as our daughter is just about to have her second baby. We have ensured that we have a good agent who investigates the applicants thoroughly, and letting it out on short term contract lets of 6 months.

John
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:12 am
Just Joined

poshslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to allposhslice is a name known to all

Wel done you the house on the market is a huge step into the unknown as you won't be buying another here. We will be adding you to the Pips list and won't it be fun all meeting up. Rockingham is lovely and went there to see Penguin Island. Nowhere is too far in Perth we are putting together our email addresses so will send you mine. The next thing is to find out when we are getting there. According to the letter sent on receipt of application they email us directly. That will be a shock won't it? Deep breathe when you get it as Maizie seems on overload. Good Luck with a buyer!

Hello Barbaran,
I'm still lurking on the site, no decisions made yet.
I am interested on your comment "you won't be buying another here?"
Are most CPVers selling up and using house proceeds to live off?
I had in mind to sell up here and buy again out there, I am 60(in 2 weeks time!) and hubby is 68 and I figured we'd be around for at least another 20-30 years. The proceeds from our house wouldn't give us much of an income split over that time. Maybe you all have big mansions to sell????
From a very interested Pam
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poshslice
Hello Barbaran,
I had in mind to sell up here and buy again out there, I am 60(in 2 weeks time!) and hubby is 68 and I figured we'd be around for at least another 20-30 years. The proceeds from our house wouldn't give us much of an income split over that time. Maybe you all have big mansions to sell????
I meant won't be buying the the UK again unless of course you decide to leave a bolthole here. I also intend to buy in Oz and living off pensions and any savings. Not at all well off and will have to budget but we do intend to work if only for 20 hours while we can to become more social and fit in as soon as we can as we do tend to hibernate happy with our company and own home. Our daughters tell us that they are designing houses with annexes on them for parents which sounds a great idea but might cause a row for us with choosing which one unless they both get a house with an annexe built. Each of us have budgets to live to and the trick is that it where you would you be better off in old age here or there. Pack a sandwich and sit on a bench here or there? Is's a no brainer and one of the reasons we made a very quick decision to join our family who didn't want to bring their children up in this country. We watched our parents grow old here and would n't want that for ourselves there must be something better out there.
Rambling again sorry guys ..
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

coloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nicecoloneldube is just really nice

Originally Posted by poshslice
Hello Barbaran,
Not a mansion sadly and the proceeds not sufficient to buy outright in Perth so that's a bit of a worry, it's not going to stop us though and if we have to find some work to fund another house so be it. We plan to live on our pensions so another worry is the exchange rate. Presumably you both will be drawing pensions too. When we started all this you could comfortably expect to get 2.2 and now it's around the 1.7 mark so that's bit of a facer. But we strongly feel that it's the best choice for us, we adore our grandchildren and miss them so much plus there is another on the way. We are similar ages to you, hubby is 69 tomorrow and I will be 62 in October, so well past the first flush. To everyone else out there whose 'friends' doubt their sanity ignore them and do what you think best. We haven't encountered any doubters, in fact just the opposite. So many people have told us how they envy us etc. and more than one person of our age group with kids in Oz has asked us how we did it.
Cath
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coloneldube
Not a mansion sadly and the proceeds not sufficient to buy outright in Perth so that's a bit of a worry, it's not going to stop us though and if we have to find some work to fund another house so be it. We plan to live on our pensions so another worry is the exchange rate. Presumably you both will be drawing pensions too. When we started all this you could comfortably expect to get 2.2 and now it's around the 1.7 mark so that's bit of a facer. But we strongly feel that it's the best choice for us, we adore our grandchildren and miss them so much plus there is another on the way. We are similar ages to you, hubby is 69 tomorrow and I will be 62 in October, so well past the first flush. To everyone else out there whose 'friends' doubt their sanity ignore them and do what you think best. We haven't encountered any doubters, in fact just the opposite. So many people have told us how they envy us etc. and more than one person of our age group with kids in Oz has asked us how we did it.
Cath
TOTALLY AGREE CATH! There are those who even wish that their children would go so that they could. Mind you there are the talkers and the Doers and we should be proud to the the latter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.