Contributory parent Visa

Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default Contributory parent Visa

Does anyone know how long it takes to get one of these visas? i know it costs a lot of money and i know the sponsership requirements, but i dont know how long they take to issue. i also know that the non-contrib visa takes years
cheers for any help
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory parent Visa

Originally Posted by threlly
Does anyone know how long it takes to get one of these visas? i know it costs a lot of money and i know the sponsership requirements, but i dont know how long they take to issue. i also know that the non-contrib visa takes years
cheers for any help
Only about 6 months or so.

I have got one.

I will let you have more details later if you want.

G
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney

That would be great Grayling. It is not for me, but possibly for boyfriends parents. we have applied for a skilled indep 136 and hope to go to OZ next may. after the two years we may sponser his parents, if they want to come over. would really appreciate your comments. i am inclear about the costs. so far i have worked this out.

1.. it costs about $1245 to lodge application (first installment)
2. second installment of about $26,475
3. AOS $10,000 for primary applicant and $4000 for others in application.

i am not sure if the above it correct or not. so you pay put about £11,000 which u never see again and then for the AOS about £6000 u get that back after 10 years.

cheers

Originally Posted by Grayling
Only about 6 months or so.

I have got one.

I will let you have more details later if you want.

G

Last edited by threlly; Aug 9th 2004 at 5:26 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 8:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

That would be great Grayling. It is not for me, but possibly for boyfriends parents. we have applied for a skilled indep 136 and hope to go to OZ next may. after the two years we may sponser his parents, if they want to come over. would really appreciate your comments. i am inclear about the costs. so far i have worked this out.

i am not sure if the above it correct or not. so you pay put about £11,000 which u never see again and then for the AOS about £6000 u get that back after 10 years.

cheers
Threlly

You seem to have it about right.
I don't remember the exact figure as they have recently changed.
What you quote seems about right.
You never see the second VAC again but it entitles the visa holder to full medicare and work rights.
The assurance bond is returned unless there is a 'recoverable' claim for benefits. In this case it is deducted from the bond and you, as the assurer, are liable for any extra benefit claims.

That is about the sum of it but I am not sure of all the details. Medicare costs are not recoverable. ie. they are not deducted from the bond and the assurer is not liable.

The visa has been granted very rapidly and I understand last year's quota was not used up and is carried over. This situation may change according to demand.

The applicant does have to pass a medical and meet the 'balance of family test'. You probably already know this.

The whole thing was much quicker than we expected.

Good luck

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers for that - what do you mean by the bond is returned unless there is a 'recoverable' claim for benefits. what benefits would these be?

also i know we would be the assurers, but we are getting his parents to pay the whole lot, bond etc, so we will pay nothing, the parents will cover all costs (i suppose this is the way it works with most families) also what does the assurer have to prove to be an assurer

cheers

Threlly

You seem to have it about right.
I don't remember the exact figure as they have recently changed.
What you quote seems about right.
You never see the second VAC again but it entitles the visa holder to full medicare and work rights.
The assurance bond is returned unless there is a 'recoverable' claim for benefits. In this case it is deducted from the bond and you, as the assurer, are liable for any extra benefit claims.

That is about the sum of it but I am not sure of all the details. Medicare costs are not recoverable. ie. they are not deducted from the bond and the assurer is not liable.

The visa has been granted very rapidly and I understand last year's quota was not used up and is carried over. This situation may change according to demand.

The applicant does have to pass a medical and meet the 'balance of family test'. You probably already know this.

The whole thing was much quicker than we expected.

Good luck

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Cheers for that - what do you mean by the bond is returned unless there is a 'recoverable' claim for benefits. what benefits would these be?

also i know we would be the assurers, but we are getting his parents to pay the whole lot, bond etc, so we will pay nothing, the parents will cover all costs (i suppose this is the way it works with most families) also what does the assurer have to prove to be an assurer

cheers
Threlly
As far as I am aware benefits are not available within the first two years anyway (as with any PR). As to what are 'recoverable' benefits I am not sure as we are financially independent but I presume it means unemployment benefit etc. As I said Medicare is not recoverable as it is a right under the visa conditions.

The assurer would have to provide proof that they have the means (income etc.) to be an assurer and this usually requires two years tax records.
It is really a safeguard that the state is not going to have to meet excess demands. Most people who get this visa are likely to be fairly well off anyway.

I am sure there will be more information on benefits on the various government websites.

It has been discussed before but I can't remember the details.

Good luck

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Contributory parent Visa

cheers
Hi Threlly,

Are the figures quoted for both parents. or each?

Also where did you find the costs?, I have printed off the DIMIA tome on parent migration but cannot find the figures anywhere

I'm hoping that this may be an option for my Mum to join us

Thanks

Flossybean
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Flossybean
Hi Threlly,

Are the figures quoted for both parents. or each?

Also where did you find the costs?, I have printed off the DIMIA tome on parent migration but cannot find the figures anywhere

I'm hoping that this may be an option for my Mum to join us

Thanks

Flossybean
Flossybean

The figures are per person.

1. Application charge.

2.VAC $26475 as from 1st july.

3. Bond of assurance $10000 fist applicant plus $4000 for partner (if any).

The fees are listed on the DIMIA website.

Search under 'visa fees'

Good luck

G
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Last of the Summer Wine country...Soon to be Melbourne
Flossybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Contributory parent Visa

Flossybean

The figures are per person.

1. Application charge.

2.VAC $26475 as from 1st july.

3. Bond of assurance $10000 fist applicant plus $4000 for partner (if any).

The fees are listed on the DIMIA website.

Search under 'visa fees'

Good luck

G

Thanks Grayling,

Found the site now

This is all making me feel much better, I know it could be expensive but is not looking as hopeless as I first thought