Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IT Contract work valid work experience time?

IT Contract work valid work experience time?

Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:45 am
Just Joined

hallri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Contract work valid work experience time?

Hi all,

when we started looking to emmigrate I thought the rules said I needed to work 12months in the last 2 years.
I now seems to of changed to either 12months in the last 18months or 3years in the last 4years.

The reason this is an issue for me is I have my own company that I do IT contracting through so even when my company is not in a contract it still employs me.

My company had a spell of 2 years without contracts (while I travelled) but still employed me so does that count towards my work experience time?

many thanks

Rich
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

SentApril2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Contract work valid work experience time?

Originally posted by hallri
Hi all,

when we started looking to emmigrate I thought the rules said I needed to work 12months in the last 2 years.
I now seems to of changed to either 12months in the last 18months or 3years in the last 4years.

The reason this is an issue for me is I have my own company that I do IT contracting through so even when my company is not in a contract it still employs me.

My company had a spell of 2 years without contracts (while I travelled) but still employed me so does that count towards my work experience time?

many thanks

Rich
I was self-employed for some time, and had enclosed copies of invoices and cheques that I received. As long as the number of hours adds up to 20 hours/week or more, they count it as full-time income. I'm not sure how you will prove that you were working full-time if you were travelling for 2 years without contracts. Did you manage other employees while you were travelling?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

hallri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Contract work valid work experience time?

no, but being self-employed is very different to being an employee of your own company.

Originally posted by SentApril2002
I was self-employed for some time, and had enclosed copies of invoices and cheques that I received. As long as the number of hours adds up to 20 hours/week or more, they count it as full-time income. I'm not sure how you will prove that you were working full-time if you were travelling for 2 years without contracts. Did you manage other employees while you were travelling?