Confused with SMP application. Please help

Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:26 am
Just Joined

0xff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused with SMP application. Please help

Hi expats,

I have completed my assessment successfully with ACS as software engineer(261313). I am planning to go for state sponsorship though I have enough points for 175 as 176 applications are processed quickly. But I have got lot of doubts on lodging my application with both these states.

I am happy to move to either Victoria or NSW as both are very good for IT occupations. Since I am applying bit late, I am quite doubtful about the no of caps available for both the states.

Can i go ahead and apply for sponsorship from both the states in parallel or just apply for one and wait for the result? I have also heard that Victoria is very strict with multiple applications. I am not quite sure about NSW.
What is the chances of getting NSW sponsorship?

Please help me to take the right path. Thanks in advance
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

GC73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused with SMP application. Please help

The question of applying to more than one state for sponsorship has arisen many times and divides opinion. Traditionally this appears to have been frowned upon but does not break any laws. It has been reported in the past that Victoria will dismiss your application if you've applied elsewhere, however other states are not so concerned by it. I've never seen anything official from a state saying whether this is or isn't permissable or whether it will have a detrimental effect on your case.

I've heard it argued that you are not showing committment to that state if you apply to more than one, however that is not a view I share. It is very likely that multiple states could provide a perfect mix of employment/education/family/lifestyle benefits people crave when moving to Australia. If this is the case and you are not fussy where you settle initially then why should you not apply to more than one state?

With the recent changes (quotas in particular) if you wait for one state and get refused, the chances are the other states will have reached their quota and you'll have to wait until next year before reapplying. If you happened to be granted SS from more than one state, you'd like to think that you could accept one and have the other returned and re-used for another applicant.

I'm sure there'll be many people ppose this view, however what cannot be ignored is the fact times are changing and the number of places available are reducing. It's only natural for people to have as many irons in the fire as possible rather than leaving all your eggs in one basket so to speak. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has queried this officially with a state and what response they had.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused with SMP application. Please help

Originally Posted by GC73
The question of applying to more than one state for sponsorship has arisen many times and divides opinion. Traditionally this appears to have been frowned upon but does not break any laws. It has been reported in the past that Victoria will dismiss your application if you've applied elsewhere, however other states are not so concerned by it. I've never seen anything official from a state saying whether this is or isn't permissable or whether it will have a detrimental effect on your case.

I've heard it argued that you are not showing committment to that state if you apply to more than one, however that is not a view I share. It is very likely that multiple states could provide a perfect mix of employment/education/family/lifestyle benefits people crave when moving to Australia. If this is the case and you are not fussy where you settle initially then why should you not apply to more than one state?

With the recent changes (quotas in particular) if you wait for one state and get refused, the chances are the other states will have reached their quota and you'll have to wait until next year before reapplying. If you happened to be granted SS from more than one state, you'd like to think that you could accept one and have the other returned and re-used for another applicant.

I'm sure there'll be many people ppose this view, however what cannot be ignored is the fact times are changing and the number of places available are reducing. It's only natural for people to have as many irons in the fire as possible rather than leaving all your eggs in one basket so to speak. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has queried this officially with a state and what response they had.
Several posters have reported on here that they were rejected by Victoria on the grounds that they had applied to more than one State and therefore were not committed to that State. Sounds fairly official to me - I don't remember hearing such a response from the others......yet.