Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Confused regarding my prospects - Advice needed

Confused regarding my prospects - Advice needed

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

manumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nice
Default Confused regarding my prospects - Advice needed

Dear all,
With the new changes in immigration rules and the creation of CSL, I am a bit confused regarding my prospects and processing times. I was hoping that others in this forum will provide some guidance.

First, my background. I am an IT professional with over 14 years experience working for a large IT services company. I am currently deployed in US. I was planning to apply under 176 (brother is a citizen) with the assumption that it will get processed in approx 18 months (I am from a high risk country). My current assignment gets over in 6 months. Now I am looking at 2 scenarios.

1. Continue working in US for the time being and file my papers for 176 from US. Try for another assignment in US in June and Wait out the period in US and India. The problem is that I don't know how long the new wait period will be
2. Take a salary hit and persuade my company to send me on an assignment to Australia under 457. There are projects in Australia and there is a fair chance that my request will be accepted. Assuming that I move to Australia under 457, will I get priority processing if I apply under category 176, as I am currently employed, or does the company have to sponsor me in order to be eligible for priority processing ? Do I have to wait for a minimum period before applying for 176 ?

What would you do under these circumstances ? Your advice will be very much appreciated.

Regards
Manumani
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Confused regarding my prospects - Advice needed

I'm not from an IT background, nor a migration agent.

However, I'd advise you to get to Australia with your company. If nothing else it lets you have a 'trial run' of what life here is like before you do it for good.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

As I read it you won't get fast tracked on a 176 as its family sponsored not state. Nor is it an employer sponsored visa.

Having a job offer is a bonus but not one of the new priority per se. But as RCoight says at least you can try it our and be here, even if its while a 176 is being processed.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

manumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nice

As I feared. The processing will not be affected even if I have a job offer. If I wait till I reach Australia to file my visa, I'll have to wait for atleast 6-7 more months before filing my visa. I just sent my documents to ACS for assessment. If I get it by Feb, and clear my IELTS by feb, I should be able to file my 176 by end of march, thus saving me 3-4 months.

Should I file my visa from whereever I am, and then take up the Australia job ? Do I have to declare on my 457 visa application that I have already applied for PR ? How does that affect my chances of getting 457 ?

Regards
Manumani
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is a problem applying for both 457 and 176. I've certainly heard of others doing it to get here faster.

However you must make sure that 457 is not granted 2nd (highly unlikely) as it would cancel your PR with a temp visa.

Also you will have to go offshore to get your PR granted. (only a short break to anywhere with the appropriate embassy/high commission type place that can issue your visa)

Have a good look at the immigration website and if you still have questions maybe speak with an agent before commiting yourself if you are still uncertain.