Community Language - French

Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:35 pm
Mauritian Member

jen_mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Community Language - French

Hello, my husband and i are lanning to apply for the GSM Visa 176, having a relative with australian citizenship to sponsor us next year and have decided to go through the whole immigration application process without the help of an agent. Being from Mauritius, French is our native language and english our official language. We are aware of the requirements for proving fluency in a community language, but I'm not sure if my husband will be able to claim additional points for community language given that

1 - He has a Bachelor of Arts Degree with majors in French & English from the University of South Africa by distance learning mode. The courses were delivered at a registered institution here in Mauritius and the teaching language for the English major was English and for the french major it was obviously in French,

will my husband be able to claim additional points for language ability ?

thanks
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community Language - French

The rule says:

The applicant:
(a) is the holder of a qualification (that is of an equivalent standard to a degree awarded by an Australian tertiary educational institution) the tuition for which was conducted in a designated language; or

(b) is accredited as a professional interpreter or translator (level 3) in a designated language by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:07 pm
Mauritian Member

jen_mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Community Language - French

yes i understand that but i have doubts cause like i mentioned, half of the course was done in english and the other half in french...i'm still confused