British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship - Time Overseas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-time-overseas-674469/)

callaghan.nick Oct 19th 2010 11:27 am

Re: Citizenship - Time Overseas

I defintely will. I posted lots of info re my Residency application and received a lot of positive feedback (then lost old user/password)

see http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=nicknlaura

Thanks for the info - definitely not planning to submit any dodgy documentation so should be OK to give it a try. I will need to discuss with my wife.

peaceboy Oct 19th 2010 7:12 pm

why dont you request your old credentials?? there is a lost pasword recovery option on this foum.:thumbup:

Pollyana Oct 19th 2010 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by peaceboy (Post 8930199)
why dont you request your old credentials?? there is a lost pasword recovery option on this foum.:thumbup:

Only possible if he still has access to the email address with which that username was registered on the site (which he may have, I don't know).

callaghan.nick Oct 19th 2010 11:05 pm

That was the issue my hotmail locked me out one day. Not to worry Gmail is much better anyway :)

aussie_rules Oct 20th 2010 2:30 am

Originally Posted by callaghan.nick (Post 8927458)
I just spoke to the citizenship help line. They advised making an application and including a letter proving my "close and continuing ties with Australia". Also with supporting documents proving my spouse/partner is a citizen as well as proving the time spent overseas was together etc.

Has anyone gone down this route who can provide feedback on their experience? I would love to get my citizenship:D however not really keen to lose the entire application fee:( or have a failed citizenship application on my record either:(

Thanks!

My wife went for citizenship using this route.She got her citizenship application approved in 10 months.You need to provide lot of material including "stat dec" photos,children australian passports etc. etc. She applied for citizenship and immediately went overseas. After 10 months her case officer emailed her indicating approval and ceremony date etc. She flew into Australia and went for ceremony.She even applied her first Australian passport overseas.DIAC Rules are a lot relaxed and humanly/considerate towards the spouse and children of Australian citizens.

zultan Oct 20th 2010 3:39 am

Originally Posted by aussie_rules (Post 8931143)
My wife went for citizenship using this route.She got her citizenship application approved in 10 months.You need to provide lot of material including "stat dec" photos,children australian passports etc. etc. She applied for citizenship and immediately went overseas. After 10 months her case officer emailed her indicating approval and ceremony date etc. She flew into Australia and went for ceremony.She even applied her first Australian passport overseas.DIAC Rules are a lot relaxed and humanly/considerate towards the spouse and children of Australian citizens.

Interesting :) Two questions:

How long had she been a PR for before making the application?

And how long had she been living in Australia for before the application?

aussie_rules Oct 20th 2010 3:47 am

Originally Posted by zultan (Post 8931276)
Interesting :) Two questions:

How long had she been a PR for before making the application?

And how long had she been living in Australia for before the application?

She was in Australia on Sub Class 309 (2+ years) with husband.She didn't even had a Aust bank account on her name.Centrelink letters,tax returns are very strong proof of ties. She got her PR visa (onshore- sub class 100) and within 1 month left Australia due to husband's work commitments overseas .Before making her citizenship application she was in Australia for 8 months. As I said DIAC and citizenship minister is very considerate when Australian citizen, their spouse and children are involved.

zultan Oct 20th 2010 3:53 am

Originally Posted by aussie_rules (Post 8931288)
She was in Australia on Sub Class 309 (2+ years) with husband.She didn't even had a Aust bank account on her name.Centrelink letters,tax returns are very strong proof of ties. She got her PR visa (onshore- sub class 100) and within 1 month left Australia due to husband's work commitments overseas .Before making her citizenship application she was in Australia for 8 months. As I said DIAC and citizenship minister is very considerate when Australian citizen, their spouse and children are involved.

Two years residence used to be enough for anyone to apply for citizenship.. (it changed in July this year to four years). In the example you've quoted your wife could have applied for citizenship without the need for a waiver... So is not an example of the scenario being discussed here.

aussie_rules Oct 20th 2010 4:00 am

Originally Posted by zultan (Post 8931295)
Two years residence used to be enough for anyone to apply for citizenship.. (it changed in July this year to four years). In the example you've quoted your wife could have applied for citizenship without the need for a waiver... So is not an example of the scenario being discussed here.

Before July this year, time spent on temporary visas like sub class:309 or student visas or 457 visas were not considered towards citizenship residency requirement.Therefore as per DIAC rules she spent only 9 months as PR inside Australia.

callaghan.nick Oct 20th 2010 10:05 am

Thanks for all your input guys. I was ready to apply for citizenship in April 2008. completed the citizenship test and everything. Then had to go overseas due to family reasons. I unexpectedly ended up spending 18 months in Scotland as i was offered a great employment opportunity. This means i was caught out by the change of rules before i could acrue the 1 of last 2 years.

It has been pretty bad luck the way it worked out but I have been with my ozy partner the entire time and so this route may be worth a try. Thanks for the feedback aussie rules. It is encouraging to hear someone has been successful. I have a lot of evidence though no kids with my wife yet.

bcworld Oct 20th 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by aussie_rules (Post 8931309)
Before July this year, time spent on temporary visas like sub class:309 or student visas or 457 visas were not considered towards citizenship residency requirement.Therefore as per DIAC rules she spent only 9 months as PR inside Australia.

Not true.

I applied for citizenship in Sep '08.

Time I had spent in Australia on holiday...and a working holiday visa...and provisional partner visa all counted toward the residence requirement. My application was under the 4 year rule and my PR was little over a year old at the time.

JAJ Oct 20th 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by aussie_rules (Post 8931309)

That only applied to those who became permanent residents before 1 July 2007.

Pollyana Oct 20th 2010 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8932222)
That only applied to those who became permanent residents before 1 July 2007.

He's left the building, hopefully taking his half-baked comments with him.

zultan Oct 20th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8932265)
He's left the building, hopefully taking his half-baked comments with him.

So from this thread, can I infer that because:

* I have Australian PR
* I'm living overseas with my Australian partner
* My son is an Australian citizen by descent of his mum (he was born before I got PR)
* I have an Australian Bank account

That the clock for my citizenship eligibility started ticking on the date when my PR was granted, not when we move to Australia next year?

Thansk :)