Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Test, Ceremony wait time and traveling overseas

Citizenship Test, Ceremony wait time and traveling overseas

Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Test, Ceremony wait time and traveling overseas

Originally Posted by rammygirl
It does say clearly that you may need to delay travel until a decision is made but to contact immigration if you must leave the country before a decision is made.

Simply the case that it is one of those apply onshore grant onshore issues. This used to apply to all visas but many are now able to be granted and applied for anywhere.

Like people having to leave Australia for grant of an offshore visa, they MUST be in Australia for the grant. As long as you tell them I'm sure it will be OK
Being granted a visa changes ones status in Australia, having an application approved for the next stage in citizenship process does not change status, you are still a permanent resident and not a citizen.

The citizenship website also comments that if you travel before the ceremony you are still travelling as a permanent resident. Thee is nothing to suggest that this is ill advised or frowned upon or anything else.

People travel post application all the time and there is absolutely no need for Bikergirl to worry about this or change any plans. All they need to do is ensure they still have a PR visa with an unexpired date for travel.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
This is complete and utter codswallop.

There are no restrictions on travel. Australia does not hold would be citizens as prisoners! You will not know when the decision is made and even whe the application is approved, it doesn't hcange anything, you don't become a citizen at that point. Approval will be at any time post test and the country cannot possibly forbid travel for free individuals.
I don't think I said anything like forbid travel but there is a clear requirement to be in the country at the time the decision is made, it's not codswallop. It's much like the requirement to travel in and out of Australia using an Australian passport; it's a 'requirement' but not necessarily enforceable. Better for the OP to be informed of this than not. The 'requirement' to be here is clearly documented; I'm not making it up; how or if it is implemented is a separate issue.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
From the horse's mouth (aka Attending your citizenship ceremony )

If you need to Travel before your ceremony......

You cannot get an Australian passport until you have made the pledge and officially become an Australian citizen.

If you need to travel outside Australia after you have been approved for citizenship but before your ceremony, you must travel on your current passport. This will not affect your ability to attend your ceremony or become an Australian citizen.
Before you depart you must ensure you have a visa that allows you to re-enter Australia for your ceremony. If the travel validity period on your permanent visa has expired, or is about to expire, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa.
If you do plan to travel outside Australia before your ceremony, please let us know. Contact the Citizenship Information Line.
Telephone: 131 880 between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
Good horsey
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slackbloke
I don't think I said anything like forbid travel but there is a clear requirement to be in the country at the time the decision is made, it's not codswallop. It's much like the requirement to travel in and out of Australia using an Australian passport; it's a 'requirement' but not necessarily enforceable. Better for the OP to be informed of this than not. The 'requirement' to be here is clearly documented; I'm not making it up; how or if it is implemented is a separate issue.
Did you read my post above? - it's taken from the DIBP current website and clearly says there is no restriction on travelling, provided you have the necessary visa with which to re-enter the country.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You are suggesting that OP or her other half needs to change plans and cannot leave the country. Australia cannot possibly stop a permanent resident from travelling overseas unless they are detained in prison. People travel after they lodge an application all the time and I have never ever heard of this being an issue.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You are suggesting that OP or her other half needs to change plans and cannot leave the country. Australia cannot possibly stop a permanent resident from travelling overseas unless they are detained in prison. People travel after they lodge an application all the time and I have never ever heard of this being an issue.
And if they weren't allowed to do it I suspect it would say that very clearly on the citizenship website........
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but that is after approval, no issue with that.

It is whilst awaiting approval that the issue lies.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

What I am saying is that if you follow the requirements, yes you would change you plans and you would do it to try and ensure the process goes through as smoothly as possible. As with the Aus passport issue, the onus is on you to do as the government are requesting, rather than something the government can or do enforce. What I am saying is no different to saying you have to enter Aus on Aus passport if a citizen; it is requested but not legally enforceable afaik. Much better for the OP to know this and be prepared for questions etc rather than be ignorant of it.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Yes but that is after approval, no issue with that.

It is whilst awaiting approval that the issue lies.
What issue? How can Australia stop its permanent residents from travelling overseas? Have you ever heard of an issue because I certianly have not.

I am not sure if you have ever been through the process, but you do a test and a week or so later get a letter saying your application is approved. You will not even know when somebody decides to write that letter, but it does not change your visa or residency or citizenship status. There was not even a hint of a suggestion that I could not travel after I took my test.

The visa and citizenship process is stressful enough without causing unnecessary worry for people.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

From the horses mouth. This is what slackbloke is referring to. A different issue than after approval and before the ceremony.

Step 9. Receive notification of the department's decision

A decision on your application for citizenship can only be made after you have lodged a completed application together with the required original documents and fee.
The Client Service Charter provides details on the service standard for processing an application for Australian citizenship. If you do not receive notification within the time given in the charter you should contact the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880.
You must tell the department if you change your address, and you must be in the country at the time a decision is made. You may need to defer your travel plans or, if your travel is urgent contact the department for advice.
See more information about citizenship and travel.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Did you read my post above? - it's taken from the DIBP current website and clearly says there is no restriction on travelling, provided you have the necessary visa with which to re-enter the country.
Yes I have read it and it refers to travel AFTER approval and before the ceremony; I am referring to the period between the test and approval
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

As with the Aus passport issue, the onus is on you to do as the government are requesting, rather than something the government can or do enforce. What I am saying is no different to saying you have to enter Aus on Aus passport if a citizen; it is requested but not legally enforceable afaik......
I think the Australian government have a bit more of a say in the passport issue than just being able to 'request' that their citizens leave and re-enter Australia on their Australian passport

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/...through-travel

Once you have become an Australian citizen any visa you held ceases.

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays. The Australian Passport Office provides more information.

If you also have a passport from another country you should always use your Australian passport when leaving and entering Australia.

Neigh

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 21st 2016 at 11:33 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I am starting to get very confused now.

My timeline is:
  • August 2011 - arrived on 457 visa
  • November 2013 - PR visa granted
  • ~5 January 2016 - citizenship applications submitted
  • 19 January 2016 - test dates received (16 and 17 February respectively (yes even though both applications were submitted at the same time, we got different test dates))
  • February 2016 - Citizenship tests passed ()
  • ~ October 2016 - Citizenship Ceremony held (Warringah Council website is currently stating 6-8 months wait time between test and ceremony)

My husband has no choice but to travel on business, sometimes at very short notice (less than 24hrs going to New Zealand sometimes), and already knows that he has to go overseas as previously stated. Between our test date and ceremony are we going to have to notify Immi every time he goes overseas, even for an overnight trip to New Zealand?

When do we get notification that we have passed the test? On the day of the test or through the post afterwards?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Ok, I am starting to get very confused now.

My timeline is:
  • August 2011 - arrived on 457 visa
  • November 2013 - PR visa granted
  • ~5 January 2016 - citizenship applications submitted
  • 19 January 2016 - test dates received (16 and 17 February respectively (yes even though both applications were submitted at the same time, we got different test dates))
  • February 2016 - Citizenship tests passed ()
  • ~ October 2016 - Citizenship Ceremony held (Warringah Council website is currently stating 6-8 months wait time between test and ceremony)

My husband has no choice but to travel on business, sometimes at very short notice (less than 24hrs going to New Zealand sometimes), and already knows that he has to go overseas as previously stated. Between our test date and ceremony are we going to have to notify Immi every time he goes overseas, even for an overnight trip to New Zealand?

When do we get notification that we have passed the test? On the day of the test or through the post afterwards?
The issue I am referring to is between the test and approval. Approval is when you get formal confirmation of the paperwork being processed; you are still not a citizen which happens at the ceremony some time later. Although you find out about the test immediately there is also a so called interview and subsequently police checks. So you don't find out about approval until say a week later but it could be weeks or even months if there are issues. At the interview you will be asked about travel plans; I guess at that point everything will be sorted out. To avoid the confusion I seem to have caused, I will change my previous wording from can't travel to you are requested not to travel while waiting for approval. I hope that helps

Last edited by slackbloke; Jan 21st 2016 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As with the Aus passport issue, the onus is on you to do as the government are requesting, rather than something the government can or do enforce. What I am saying is no different to saying you have to enter Aus on Aus passport if a citizen; it is requested but not legally enforceable afaik.....
I think the Australian government have a bit more of a say in the passport issue than just being able to 'request' that their citizens leave and re-enter Australia on their Australian passport

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/...through-travel

Once you have become an Australian citizen any visa you held ceases.

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.

People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays. The Australian Passport Office provides more information.

If you also have a passport from another country you should always use your Australian passport when leaving and entering Australia.

Neigh
I don't believe this is law so it is still a request, I would be interested if someone can confirm if there is a law that covers this. I am aware of at least one (complex) scenario where citizens can enter and leave Australia without an Australian passport completely legitimately.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 21st 2016 at 11:34 pm. Reason: Fix quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.