Citizenship - residency requirement

Old May 9th 2008, 7:31 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Question Citizenship - residency requirement

I just wanted to know if anyone knew how the residency requirement for citizenship was calculated.

I know we need 2 years in Australia (730 days) and can use the stamps in your passport to work it out.

However, for example, if it was stamped on entry on 4th May and when I left on the 9th May, do you count both the 4th and the 9th to make 6 days in total or do you excude these days leaving only 4 days???

Thanks for any help!!
Old May 9th 2008, 7:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - residency requirement

You can access the calculator from this page. I would have got the page but it won't open for me with Firefox.
Old May 9th 2008, 7:54 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MoneyPen, thats useful. I know I'm eligible but need to know how its calculated to find out how many days over the requirement I am.
Old May 10th 2008, 6:56 am
WS

Anyone??
Old May 10th 2008, 7:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You can access the calculator from this page. I would have got the page but it won't open for me with Firefox.
You can get an add-on that allows you to open tabs in IE within Firefox. Its an extension called IE tab . Very useful!

Originally Posted by WS
Thanks MoneyPen, thats useful. I know I'm eligible but need to know how its calculated to find out how many days over the requirement I am.
Taken from the citizenship calculator page -

The travel dates are stamped into the passport you used for your travels. Look for stamps with the words 'departed' and 'arrived' and enter the dates in the 'from Date' and 'to Date' fields.
Ive worked mine out the long way, counting dates of travel, and had the site calculate it for me as well, and it counts the dates you enter and leave - use the dates stamped in the passport. They say its days "physically present in AUs" which would include date in and date of leaving.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:00 am
WS

Thank you so much Pollyana.

So if the days 'physically present in Australia' can include the date on the arrival stamp and the date on the leaving stamp then the 4-9th May would be 6 days??
Old May 10th 2008, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
Thank you so much Pollyana.

So if the days 'physically present in Australia' can include the date on the arrival stamp and the date on the leaving stamp then the 4-9th May would be 6 days??
I reckon so Certainly those are the dates you have to enter, and you are physically present on those days - it doesn't say physically present for the WHOLE day
Old May 10th 2008, 9:45 am
WS

Thank you!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

for those who qualify under the 2 year rule.

on the last year (2nd year) of the residency requirement....

is there a rule that you have to be living in australia for 365 days (12 months) straight before you apply for citizenship on 30 June 2010?

i thought i read that somewhere here but i cant find the thread anymore...

my wife started her 2 year residency just last May 2008....

we were planning to take a 3 week holiday overseas around September 2009 which would mean that she would not have lived 12 months straight in oz on her final year of residency....

thanks for any replies
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:43 am
WS

No, it doesn't need to be 12 months straight in the second year. If you leave Australia for a holiday, you just add that time onto the end of the two years .
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

COOL! thanks WS!!