Citizenship question

Old May 18th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice
Default Citizenship question

Can someone help please.

We are going to be applying for 175 and on the online visa app it asks:

If your spouse/interdependent partner holds citizenships of any countries other than the country listed in their passport, provide details

So my OH is Lithuanian (born) and she has been a British Citizen for 8 years now. Does that mean she would still be a citizen of Lithuania? I am asking this as on the help for this question is also says:

Even though you may have been born in or lived in a country for a number of years, you may not be a citizen of that country.

To be honest I would have thought she would be still a Lithuanian citizen but just wanted to clarify if someone knew any different!

Thanks.
Old May 18th 2008, 8:05 pm
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Citizenship question

Your wife I assume will hold both a British and Lithuanian passport. In essence your wife is Lithuanian with British citizenship, therefore yes she does hold citizenships of another country other than the country listed in her passport. If your using her British passport, you would therefore provide details of her Lithuanian passport and any other details they require.

Scott.
Old May 19th 2008, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellaman
Can someone help please.

We are going to be applying for 175 and on the online visa app it asks:

If your spouse/interdependent partner holds citizenships of any countries other than the country listed in their passport, provide details

So my OH is Lithuanian (born) and she has been a British Citizen for 8 years now. Does that mean she would still be a citizen of Lithuania? I am asking this as on the help for this question is also says:

Even though you may have been born in or lived in a country for a number of years, you may not be a citizen of that country.

To be honest I would have thought she would be still a Lithuanian citizen but just wanted to clarify if someone knew any different!

Thanks.

The Lithuanian law of 2003 states that Lithuanian citizenship is lost upon acquisition of another:
http://www.coe.int/t/e/legal_affairs...hip%202003.pdf

IF she became a British citizen before 2003, she may have retained her Lithuanian citizenship. She ought to write to the Lithuanian Embassy and ask the question.

Bear in mind that even if she is Lithuanian now, it appears she will lose that citizenship upon becoming Australian, in due course. Unless Lithuania changes the law in the meantime. She will not lose her naturalised British citizenship.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

OK Thanks for the info.

OH was born in Lithuania in 1982 and moved to the UK in 1996. She then became a British Citizen in 2001 and we still live here in the UK.

OH does no longer have a valid Lithuanian passport. Only a British one!

I am thinking that Lithuanian citizenship was lost then??
Old May 20th 2008, 8:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellaman
OK Thanks for the info.

OH was born in Lithuania in 1982 and moved to the UK in 1996. She then became a British Citizen in 2001 and we still live here in the UK.

OH does no longer have a valid Lithuanian passport. Only a British one!

I am thinking that Lithuanian citizenship was lost then??
Not necessarily because she became a British Citizen before Lithuania changed their laws. However as JAJ says, when she takes Australian Citizenship she will lose the Lithuanian citizenship. You definitely need to check with the Embassy.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
The Lithuanian law of 2003 states that Lithuanian citizenship is lost upon acquisition of another:
http://www.coe.int/t/e/legal_affairs...hip%202003.pdf

IF she became a British citizen before 2003, she may have retained her Lithuanian citizenship. She ought to write to the Lithuanian Embassy and ask the question.

Bear in mind that even if she is Lithuanian now, it appears she will lose that citizenship upon becoming Australian, in due course. Unless Lithuania changes the law in the meantime. She will not lose her naturalised British citizenship.

Hey

I found this link that suggests that UNTIL 2002 Lithuanians lost their Citizenship.

under section 2.2
http://ec.europa.eu/education/polici...ic/lith_en.pdf

"Until 2002 Lithuanian citizens automatically lost their citizenship once they
became citizens of another country. But in the 1990s there was considerable
emigration and it was thought that such a provision would practically prevent them from returning to Lithuania. The Law on Citizenship was therefore changed in 2002. Lithuanian citizens are now allowed to retain Lithuanian citizenship even after acquiring the citizenship of another country."

Mmmm seems like this should be correct then.