Citizenship in OZ can you help?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

James and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to all
Default Citizenship in OZ can you help?

We've got the residency visa - too quickly. Done the initial entry in April 06 have got to be in Oz by Nov 2010 BUT how do we stand if we are not in until just before Nov 2010 regarding citizenship? Does anyone know or are you in same situation? We want to move there like yesterday but need to spend some more time here to make ourselves financially sorted.
Jim and Ali
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship in OZ can you help?

Originally Posted by James and Alison
We've got the residency visa - too quickly. Done the initial entry in April 06 have got to be in Oz by Nov 2010 BUT how do we stand if we are not in until just before Nov 2010 regarding citizenship?
You will then have a 4 year waiting period for citizenship. Anyone eligible for the 2 year period must clock up the 2 years and apply before 30 June 2010 (three years from Commencement). Otherwise the 4 year period applies.

It is a very bad idea incidentally to leave it so late to migrate to Australia. Not only will you have travelling restrictions until you can get a Resident Return Visa, but any further delay will cause you to lose your status completely.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

James and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will then have a 4 year waiting period for citizenship. Anyone eligible for the 2 year period must clock up the 2 years and apply before 30 June 2010 (three years from Commencement). Otherwise the 4 year period applies.

It is a very bad idea incidentally to leave it so late to migrate to Australia. Not only will you have travelling restrictions until you can get a Resident Return Visa, but any further delay will cause you to lose your status completely.
Thanks for that - so basically we need to be migrate ideally by Nov this year at the latest next june. We got our residency visa in Nov 2005 so already we are pushing it time wise.
Ali
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James and Alison
Thanks for that - so basically we need to be migrate ideally by Nov this year at the latest next june. We got our residency visa in Nov 2005 so already we are pushing it time wise.
If you only want to wait 2 years for citizenship, then you really should be planning to have moved to Australia long before June 2008.

You will need to clock up the 2 years residence (not counting any time outside Australia on vacation or business trips) AND make a formal application for citizenship by 30 June 2010. Bear in mind there will probably be a deluge of applications that month.

If you miss the deadline it will be a 4 year wait - no flexibility.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

ALI B is just really niceALI B is just really niceALI B is just really niceALI B is just really niceALI B is just really niceALI B is just really niceALI B is just really niceALI B is just really nice

HI ALI B HERE

SOZ TO BUTT IN FOLKS BUT HOW DOES THAT AFFECT STUDENT VISAS? IM HOPING TO START STUDYING IN SOUTHPORT IN THE GOLDCOAST BY JUL23RD. ITS GONNA BE A 2 YR COURSE WHICH WOULD TAKE ME UP TO JUL 2009 WHEN I WOULD HOPEFULLY BE APPLYING FOR THE 136. WOULD I COME UNDER THE 4YR WAIT FOR CITIZENSHIP DUE TO THE 2 YR STUDENT VISA FIRST?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ

I would appreciate it if you could clarify for me one aspect. We are waiting for our final AOS stage to complete and hope to have our Visa by April this year (maybe May). We plan to move over permanently in Jan 08 in order for our daughter to start secondary school and allow time to complete employment contracts.

If we do not validate until September (hoping to line up interviews and see schools enrol etc so dont want to really go to early) can we still get citizenship under two year rule. Basically do we have to validate before June 07 to qualify?

Thank you so much for your advice?

Cheryl
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:12 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you would have to validate your visa before the 1st July to get Citizenship under the old 2 year requirement.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

natal is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas if the 3 year temp residency(457) would still count towards the 4 year period after 2010?
My situation is that I've been working here in aus for about 5 years now and will be validating my PR soon. My company wants me to work in the UK for a few years. Hence my question if the years I've spent here can still be used if I choose to come back by 2010. The other option I was thinking of was to wait till 1st of July to actually validate it. The problem with that is depending on govt do their work in the time they said they would. We all know how that works.