citizenship by birth

Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

woow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship by birth

dear folks,
can any one tell m e that a child born in australia and citizen by birth lose his citizenship if the parents lose their p.r as a result of nt living in aus or any other reason
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship by birth

No. But it can happen if parents are citizens and renounce their citizenship.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
No. But it can happen if parents are citizens and renounce their citizenship.
so it means that if the parents lose their citizenship the child a citizen by birth will losse too but not in case of losing p.r that is a bit amazing
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by woow
so it means that if the parents lose their citizenship the child a citizen by birth will losse too but not in case of losing p.r that is a bit amazing
it means that if a p.r person lose the p.r status o r it gets cancelled then his/her child a citizen by birth wil not lose the citizenship but at the same time if a citizen lose the citizenship or get revokese the same child will lose citizenship too if the orher parent is not a p.r or citizen plz correct me or comment on this
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:43 pm
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice

There is a major difference between losing your PR because you are out of Australia and having it cancelled because you provided fraudulent documents to obtain it.

If the parents are just outside of the country for 10 years and cant get an RRV, then the child will still be an Australian Citizen. (I have a client in this situation)

If the PR was obtained by fraud, then I wouldn't be surprised if the childs citizenship was not also cancelled.

cheers
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CrystalBall
There is a major difference between losing your PR because you are out of Australia and having it cancelled because you provided fraudulent documents to obtain it.

If the parents are just outside of the country for 10 years and cant get an RRV, then the child will still be an Australian Citizen. (I have a client in this situation)

If the PR was obtained by fraud, then I wouldn't be surprised if the childs citizenship was not also cancelled.

cheers
yeh that is intersting but which country would the child b citizen of then if child looses his/her citizenship as the child could well b the citizen by descent of the other country too where parents have been born but that would b b descent n by birth would b of aus n that is surprising to lose citizenship by birth n having 1 by descent just
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

cheers

Very good info.

I understand that PR can be revoked anytime. But once granted, can citizenship be revoked at a later stage?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Usually parents with an Australian citizen dependent child can claim "substantial ties" to Australia and get an RRV on this basis.

Not legally possible, based simply on cancellation of a PR visa.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:58 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Very good info.

I understand that PR can be revoked anytime.
Only if certain criteria are met ... it cannot be revoked on a whim.

But once granted, can citizenship be revoked at a later stage?
Not easily! You'd need to be convicted of some specific offences:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/loss/deprive-citz.htm
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

bilal154 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only if certain criteria are met ... it cannot be revoked on a whim.

Not easily! You'd need to be convicted of some specific offences:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/loss/deprive-citz.htm
after going through this wonderful post and the citizenship link i wonder what the ex citizen visa is and a person having citizenship revoked can still have the ex citizen visa which i read is permanent one what is that
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bilal154
after going through this wonderful post and the citizenship link i wonder what the ex citizen visa is and a person having citizenship revoked can still have the ex citizen visa which i read is permanent one what is that
If someone's citizenship is revoked and they are in Australia they get an ex-citizen visa automatically, this could also be cancelled.

Is this something you are planning?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bilal154
My understanding is that an ex-Citizen's visa allows an individual to remain a legal resident in Australia between such a time as his citizenship being revoked and his/her departure from the country.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
My understanding is that an ex-Citizen's visa allows an individual to remain a legal resident in Australia between such a time as his citizenship being revoked and his/her departure from the country.
If your understanding is that the holder of an ex-citizen visa is expected to leave Australia, then that is completely wrong.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:54 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woow
yeh that is intersting but which country would the child b citizen of then if child looses his/her citizenship as the child could well b the citizen by descent of the other country too where parents have been born but that would b b descent n by birth would b of aus n that is surprising to lose citizenship by birth n having 1 by descent just
"Stateless" children is an interesting exception to citizenship rules, if a child is born in Australia to non PR's who cannot claim the citizenship of their own country for the child then I believe the child becomes an Australian citizen.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ex_exile
"Stateless" children is an interesting exception to citizenship rules, if a child is born in Australia to non PR's who cannot claim the citizenship of their own country for the child then I believe the child becomes an Australian citizen.
Child can be registered as Australian in certain circumstances if stateless, principally if the child has no prospect of obtaining another country's citizenship.

It's unusual, but happens from time to time. Usually some combination of parents being citizens by descent of a country that puts limits on transmission, mother being a citizen of a country that doesn't let women pass on citizenship, and/or an unmarried father.

Separately to this, if child lives in Australia for first 10 years, child becomes Australian on 10th birthday. Immigration status is irrelevant and child does not have to be stateless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.