Citizenship

Old Jun 29th 2014, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship

Hi, could anyone be kind enough to answer a couple of question? Next June we are all entitled to become Citizens of Australia, i have checked with the online checker and we all have completed our full four years. Not sure the exact date, but for example we can become/apply for citizenship on the 5th July 2015. Can we/do we.

1) Leave Australia on the 6th July 2015, come back in say two years, and then apply for citizenship, having completed our four years previously before leaving Australia.

2) Can we apply for citizenship on the 5th July 2015, and leave Australia on the 6th July 2015, or do we have to remain in Australia to obtain citizenship.

3) Do you have to physically remain in Australia while citizenship is being processed or actually be in Australia when citizenship is granted, a that time.

Thanks for any help
Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by blackcab
Hi, could anyone be kind enough to answer a couple of question? Next June we are all entitled to become Citizens of Australia, i have checked with the online checker and we all have completed our full four years. Not sure the exact date, but for example we can become/apply for citizenship on the 5th July 2015. Can we/do we.

1) Leave Australia on the 6th July 2015, come back in say two years, and then apply for citizenship, having completed our four years previously before leaving Australia.
No. Under this scenario you would no longer be elegible

2) Can we apply for citizenship on the 5th July 2015, and leave Australia on the 6th July 2015, or do we have to remain in Australia to obtain citizenship.
Applicants can apply for citizenship and be approved when outside Australia.

3) Do you have to physically remain in Australia while citizenship is being processed or actually be in Australia when citizenship is granted, a that time.

Have a read of form 1300T. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1300t.pdf

I have to say the motive behind your questions is a bit concerning, as Australian Citizenship is intended for people who intend to remain in Australia and become part of Australian society.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jun 30th 2014 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Have a read of form 1300T. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1300t.pdf
Thanks Buzzy. We have no intention to leave Australia, but should circumstances change, jobs/deaths; well i thought it best to find out where we all stand. So reading between the lines, if we are all eligable to apply for Australian Citizenship on the 5th July 2015. Then we can apply on this date, and leave Australia on the 6th July 2015. Be granted Citizenship while living in the UK, so on our return to Australia, we can enter as Citizens of Australia. Can you apply for your Australian passport while living in the UK.

****You must be in Australia when the department makes
a decision about your application except in certain,
limited circumstances described in Step 2 – Residence
requirement.****

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by blackcab; Jun 30th 2014 at 3:24 am.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 3:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Citizenship

Thanks Buzzy. We have no intention to leave Australia, but should circumstances change, jobs/deaths; well i thought it best to find out where we all stand. So reading between the lines, if we are all eligable to apply for Australian Citizenship on the 5th July 2015. Then we can apply on this date, and leave Australia on the 6th July 2015. Be granted Citizenship while living in the UK, so on our return to Australia, we can enter as Citizens of Australia. Can you apply for your Australian passport while living in the UK.

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you can apply for your Australian passport while in the UK, many Australians do all the time.

However you really are making the whole thing more complicated by leaving Australia, in your shoes I would wait until I had my Australian passport in my hands before leaving Australia.

BB
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Then how could you sit your citizenship test, after that you have to wait for your citizenship ceremony before you are an actual citizen which could take months.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

****You must be in Australia when the department makes
a decision about your application except in certain,
limited circumstances described in Step 2 – Residence
requirement.****

Thanks for your help.
When you apply for citizenship, you have to make a declaration of your ongoing intention to remain in Australia. So no leaving the following day is not a risk I would take.

Further you do have to physically attend a test and a ceremony, so again leaving the next day won't work.

We have our application in process at the moment, I have even gone so far as to say no more overseas trips until the new year at least. As I just want to keep life uncomplicated.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can sit both the citizenship test and attend a citizenship ceremony at Australia House in London but your intention will still need to be to return to Australia after gaining your citizenship not then to remain in the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Eternal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We have our application in process at the moment, I have even gone so far as to say no more overseas trips until the new year at least. As I just want to keep life uncomplicated.
Hi Bermudashorts,

Have u done the citizenship test yet......just need to know how long it takes to get the test date after application?

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help
In your situation, you need to remain in Australia between applying for citizenship and it being approved. You can't apply while living in the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone applied then been granted, .i.e. Ceremony taken place within three months? So go online and apply, then complete the ceremony all within 13 weeks?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen cases down in about that time, but rarely and only in exceptional circumstances and you would be relying on not only DIAC compling with a request based on special circumstances, but also your local council as they do the ceremony. Mine was just outside that period, and i was given a dispensation by DIAC because i work away so much. But it was not easy to get
Old Dec 10th 2014, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I applied around the beginning of June (can't remember exact date), then sat the test on 16 June, got the approval letter on 24 June, and the ceremony was on 23 September. In comparison to others going through the process, mine seemed very quick. DIBP do host their own ceremonies from time to time (mine was a DIBP), but I'd still say you're more likely than not to have to wait for a local council date.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you give me a link on the "online checker" of my eligibility for citizenship please?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimcz
Could you give me a link on the "online checker" of my eligibility for citizenship please?
Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimcz
https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do