citizenship

Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all
Default citizenship

Just read a few threads on this and not 100% sure on the final answers, if this makes sense??

Anyway my question is my visa was granted oct 2007 i shall be there full time before oct 2008 do i need to do anything to stay permanant after syt 2012 or do i just get on with life in oz and not worry about it??? will the goverment etc contact me???
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:38 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship

Originally Posted by gerry
Just read a few threads on this and not 100% sure on the final answers, if this makes sense??

Anyway my question is my visa was granted oct 2007 i shall be there full time before oct 2008 do i need to do anything to stay permanant after syt 2012 or do i just get on with life in oz and not worry about it??? will the goverment etc contact me???
The law changed and now requires that anyone who validated the visa after July 2007 has to meet the new requirement of four years residence before making application for citizenship.

Its an active process and you have to apply yourself once your meet the requirements.

After your visa expires you must either apply for citizenship or you must apply for a residents return visa (RRV) every time you leave the country to be allowed back in. Obviously since the guarantee that you can stay in the country with citizenship is preferable to most.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

so once i land and after say 2 years i need to apply to be a permanant citizen???
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:47 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Your two years residence must be completed before 30th June 2010, otherwise you will have to meet the four year requirement for citizenship.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
Your two years residence must be completed before 30th June 2010, otherwise you will have to meet the four year requirement for citizenship.
As he only got his visa in Oct 2007 it will be four years regardless.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:59 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gerry
so once i land and after say 2 years i need to apply to be a permanant citizen???
In your case you can apply after 4 years, the rule changed in July 2007 so you're not eligible for the 2 year citizenship.

So after 4 years you can apply for citizenship if you like. You do not need to do that. You can stay on your permanent resident visa as long as you like. But if you want to leave the country and you are still a resident after the visa label expires you would need to get a residents return visa each time. As long as you have ties to Australia you could do that indefinitely. So whether or not you want to become a citizen is up to you.

Originally Posted by WS
This poster is not eligible for citizenship in 2 years. Their visa was granted after the July 2007 rule change. To be eligible under the old rules you'd have to have validated before July 2007 AND complete the 2 years by June 2010 like you mentioned.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:59 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
As he only got his visa in Oct 2007 it will be four years regardless.
You beat me too it!