Citizen test to application??

Old May 9th 2008, 10:18 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizen test to application??

OK peeps

for those that already have

We want to do our citizen test in Sept before we head back to the UK for a visit.....

can we do this and then put our application for citizen in when we get back

i already have been on the web site and have our dates of when we can apply but it didn't say how long we can do the test before application
Old May 9th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizen test to application??

as far as i am aware there is no time limit..... so you can do it whenever
Old May 9th 2008, 10:55 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
as far as i am aware there is no time limit..... so you can do it whenever
excellent thanks Bridie!
Old May 9th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sam
OK peeps

for those that already have

We want to do our citizen test in Sept before we head back to the UK for a visit.....

can we do this and then put our application for citizen in when we get back

i already have been on the web site and have our dates of when we can apply but it didn't say how long we can do the test before application
You can only apply for citizenship after you have done the test and after you have been here 2 years straight.
Old May 9th 2008, 11:02 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You can only apply for citizenship after you have done the test and after you have been here 2 years straight.
yeap

but someone said i can do the test before my 2 years

we want to do the test in Sept then apply for citizenship 19th Oct which with our UK visit taken into consideration is 2 years for us
Old May 9th 2008, 11:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sam
yeap

we want to do the test in Sept then apply for citizenship 19th Oct which with our UK visit taken into consideration is 2 years for us
Yes, do the test whenever. Read the book though it will help loads.
Old May 9th 2008, 11:14 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Yes, do the test whenever. Read the book though it will help loads.
Thanks Rach
Old May 9th 2008, 11:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
yeap

I would seriously double check this. The actual Australian Citizenship Act is a bit vague on this and seems to say that the eligibility to take the test cannot be inconsistent with the requirements to be able to lodge an application. In effect if you can do this, then you can take it the day after you make your initial entry and that doesn't sound quite right.

If anyone here has ACTUAL and personal experience of this then maybe they can tell you otherwise I would really phone DIAC or maybe JAJ or other font of knowledge can say.

In any instance you can actually take the application for citizenship and lodge it the same day as you pass the test so I don't really see the benefit of doing it early.
Old May 9th 2008, 11:22 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by Centurion
I would seriously double check this. The actual Australian Citizenship Act is a bit vague on this and seems to say that the eligibility to take the test cannot be inconsistent with the requirements to be able to lodge an application. In effect if you can do this, then you can take it the day after you make your initial entry and that doesn't sound quite right.

If anyone here has ACTUAL and personal experience of this then maybe they can tell you otherwise I would really phone DIAC or maybe JAJ or other font of knowledge can say.

In any instance you can actually take the application for citizenship and lodge it the same day as you pass the test so I don't really see the benefit of doing it early.

I see your point but we wanted to do it when it fitted in with OH work as he doesn't get paid for time off and as he is losing 2 1/2 weeks of money we was going to try and fit the test time in rather than lose another whole day pay!
Old May 11th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We did our citizenship test about 6 weeks before we were eligible to apply for citizenship. This was fine and we are now proud Australian citizens
Old May 11th 2008, 11:50 am
Sam
here and staying

Originally Posted by spottydog
We did our citizenship test about 6 weeks before we were eligible to apply for citizenship. This was fine and we are now proud Australian citizens
Cool thanks
Old May 12th 2008, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

Phoning DIAC is unlikely to elicit any useful advice.

As long as you are a permanent resident, you can do the test anytime (the Act is not "vague") about this.

The reason to do it early is that sometimes there is a long waiting time (months) to get a test appointment.