Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Choosing the right ASCO Code - Accountant or Finance Manager?

Choosing the right ASCO Code - Accountant or Finance Manager?

Old Apr 27th 2002, 9:30 am
Max

Default Choosing the right ASCO Code - Accountant or Finance Manager?

Guys, thanks for helping me out on choosing the skills assesment body
- since I do have my university degree in accounting I guess I'll go for AICPA which
seems to be more accessible. But currently I have a different problem to cope with
- the right definition of ASCO Code. I am an accountant education-wise (BA in
Accounting and a fellow member of Israeli CPA Institute) but for the last 4 years I
have been working as an Assistant Finance Manager ( I've also been refered to as
Financial Controller) in an advertising company dealing with a lot of issues EXCEPT
external audit (the company has an external auditor who does only that - confirming
the company's yearly financial statements that I take part in preparing). My
question is whether the ASCO Code 2211-11 (Accountant) refers to EXTERNAL AUDITORS
ONLY and therefore I should apply under Finance Manager (Code 1211-11) if I want to
get my 10 points for work experience. On the other hand, if I apply under
Accountant I get 5 extra points for being on the MODL List. Either way I have the
required 110 points but I want to do the right thing - to have the best chances of
getting my permanent visa without misleading the DIMA even by mistake concerning
the right ASCO Code Nomination.

Thanks a lot!

Old Apr 27th 2002, 10:00 am
Jaj

Default Re: Choosing the right ASCO Code - Accountant or Finance Manager?

Hi Max

'Accountant' - ASCO code 2211-11 is not the same as 'Accountant - External Auditor'
which is ASCO code 2212-11.

The assessing authorities do not make a distinction between the educational
requirements for the three 'Accountant' codes plus Finance Manager. Assuming you
qualify, you can choose whichever one of them you like as your nominated, and because
only Accountant (2211-11) is on the MODL that clearly looks like the one to go for.

Your work experience is a separate issue, as far as your application is concerned.
This will be assessed by DIMA after you submit your application. In order to get 10
points your work experience needs to be in your nominated occupation (provided it's
60 points) or a 'closely related one' and should span 3 out of the 4 years
preceding your application. You'll could well find that your work experience is
actually that of Accountant, 2211-11 - as long as it's at the right skill level -
as as far as I know the Finance Manager designation concerns quite senior finance
roles (eg at FD level).

Even if the Department did decide your work experience was as Finance Manager, this
might be regarded as a 'closely related occupation' to a nominated occupation of
Accountant. I can't answer that question, as I don't have the guidelines to hand.

Have a look at the ASCO, which you can download from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats-
/abs%40.nsf/7884593a92027766ca2568b5007b8617/b70d48ab5acc56feca25692600235a67!OpenDo-
cument (yes, the ABS do go in for long urls!)

You can check whether your degree is equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree by
purchasing the Country Education Profile for your country (Israel?):
http://www.deetya.gov.au/noosr/cep/index.htm

Hope this helps

Jeremy

>On 27 Apr 2002 01:12:48 -0700, [email protected] (Max) wrote:

>Guys, thanks for helping me out on choosing the skills assesment body
    >- since I do have my university degree in accounting I guess I'll go for AICPA which
    > seems to be more accessible. But currently I have a different problem to cope with
    > - the right definition of ASCO Code. I am an accountant education-wise (BA in
    > Accounting and a fellow member of Israeli CPA Institute) but for the last 4 years
    > I have been working as an Assistant Finance Manager ( I've also been refered to as
    > Financial Controller) in an advertising company dealing with a lot of issues
    > EXCEPT external audit (the company has an external auditor who does only that -
    > confirming the company's yearly financial statements that I take part in
    > preparing). My question is whether the ASCO Code 2211-11 (Accountant) refers to
    > EXTERNAL AUDITORS ONLY and therefore I should apply under Finance Manager (Code
    > 1211-11) if I want to get my 10 points for work experience. On the other hand, if
    > I apply under Accountant I get 5 extra points for being on the MODL List. Either
    > way I have the required 110 points but I want to do the right thing - to have the
    > best chances of getting my permanent visa without misleading the DIMA even by
    > mistake concerning the right ASCO Code Nomination.
    >
    >Thanks a lot!