child passport from oz,uk parents on pr

Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default child passport from oz,uk parents on pr

May sound a bit silly these questions but im applying for a uk passport for our son who was born a month ago here in oz.
My question is does it make any difference which passport to apply for first?
Uk or oz passport.
Im almost done filling in form for oz passport just need the photos but thought i look into uk one.
Some questions it ask i want to make sure i answered right are:
Was the applicant a british national at birth? Said no was born in oz but we are both uk citizens.
Has the applicant been granted a certificate of registration or naturalistation by the home office? Said no he was born in oz and been registered here in oz.
And when you enter parents full name does this include middle names or first and last enough?

Also i believe you can no longer do this at aus post office now but can only just out of interest who supporting docs do they ask for? As not completed the online application yet.
And can this be copies?
And what method of postage did you use to send to uk.
Not done a passport from uk yet here in oz and just wondered if there was anything futher i shoukd know.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Title Join Date Posts Liked Rep Evidence_of_Australian_Citizenship child born in

Evidence_of_Australian_Citizenship child born in oz

Im about to apply for our sons Australian passport born last month here is oz and we are both on pr, he has got his oz birth cert and I believe we just apply and get his oz passport,but I found this:

Eviden...an Citizenship : British Expat Wiki

Is this really needed or just another money making thing.I don't see why this might be needed if he is born in oz and has oz birth cert ok we are uk citizens but here on pr.

I'm sure the aus post office will ask for the above if we don't meet the requirements. but was wondering about this.
Or is this old now and no longer required
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child passport from oz,uk parents on pr

Originally Posted by brian.w
May sound a bit silly these questions but im applying for a uk passport for our son who was born a month ago here in oz.
Uk or oz passport.
Im almost done filling in form for oz passport just need the photos but thought i look into uk one.
Was the applicant a british national at birth? Said no was born in oz but we are both uk citizens.
Has the applicant been granted a certificate of registration or naturalistation by the home office? Said no he was born in oz and been registered here in oz.
And when you enter parents full name does this include middle names or first and last enough?

Also i believe you can no longer do this at aus post office now but can only just out of interest who supporting docs do they ask for? As not completed the online application yet.
And can this be copies?
Not done a passport from uk yet here in oz and just wondered if there was anything futher i shoukd know.
If one of you is british other than by descent then your son was british by descent at birth.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:59 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I've merged your threads together as they both relate to obtaining passports for your son. I can't see anything in the wiki link so explain what issue you have with applying for the Australian passport?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

So what about questions as in first post british national and the evidence from home office?
We are both born in uk have pr here in oz and son is born here in oz a month ago.
So looking to get au Passport and a uk passport is there a reason to get One before other or same time?
Im thinking oz one first as we are here.
He does have an australian birth cert but read about eveidence of citizenship which is posted on here somewhere,someone said its not really needed for getting the oz passport but worth getting later.
Im hoping passport guys dont require this evidence of citizenship as you think he born here and parents on pr be enough.

Just thought i go online to start the process on the uk passport while im doing the oz one and wondered about them questions at top of my first post.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:26 am

So what about questions as in first post british national and the evidence from home office?
We are both born in uk have pr here in oz and son is born here in oz a month ago.
So looking to get au Passport and a uk passport is there a reason to get One before other or same time?
Im thinking oz one first as we are here.
He does have an australian birth cert but read about eveidence of citizenship which is posted on here somewhere,someone said its not really needed for getting the oz passport but worth getting later.
Im hoping passport guys dont require this evidence of citizenship as you think he born here and parents on pr be enough.

Just thought i go online to start the process on the uk passport while im doing the oz one and wondered about them questions at top of my first post.
It makes no difference which you get first. You are in Australia so that is probably the quicker option. Work through what you need to supply for that application - sorry not applied for Australian passport, maybe use Auspost to help.

ETA - from Auspost site you need fee, 2 photos (1 signed by guarantor), completed application form, document proving citizenship (Aus birth cert and parents PR), Original ID doc (not sure what you can supply here for a baby - maybe your own ID docs)

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 8th 2016 at 1:31 am.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks but my questions on first post was more to do with uk passport application on some questions they asked is this right saying no to british national? Im sure i read it be yes if parents are from uk and if that registration question is related to uk or if they ask for oz one.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:05 am

Thanks but my questions on first post was more to do with uk passport application on some questions they asked is this right saying no to british national? Im sure i read it be yes if parents are from uk and if that registration question is related to uk or if they ask for oz one.
I'm not sure what you are asking - I answered in post #3 that your son was a british citizen by descent from birth if either you or your wife are british other than by descent.

When you apply for his passport, include whatever info they want you to provide but answer yes to british from birth if the above is true.

ETA - oh and full name means full name - first, last and anything and everything in between

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 8th 2016 at 3:08 am.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Uk or oz passport.

And can this be copies?
Your child is a British citizen at birth.
Your full name is just that, your FULL name.
You cannot do it at the post office, follow the online sinstructions. When you go thrugh the online form it will tell you about the documents you need and how to send them.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 8th 2016 at 9:50 pm. Reason: **corrected as citizenship info has been updated**
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:40 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

"Was the applicant a British national at birth?" - Yes
"Has the applicant been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation by the Home Office?" - No
You need to provide the full names for both the child and the parents. This includes any and all middle names.

My understanding is that the Australian Passport Office will ask for an Evidence of Australian Citizenship certificate if neither parent is an Australian citizen before issuing an Australian passport.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 8th 2016 at 7:42 am. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brian.w, I can answer some of your questions through personal experience.
When applying for a British passport they require details of any other passports and copies of the passports. So you can avoid that by applying for the British passport first (I don't recall the reverse being true when applying for an Australian passport).
As for the proof of Australian citizenship to obtain a passport, they changed the rules last year. You have two options; either one parent with a British passport with a visa label in it which has an arrive by date after your child was born or, if you don't have that, you need the evidence of citizenship certificate. The details of the passport as described above are the only form of passport the passport office will accept despite the fact you might not have a label or have passed the arrive by date and obviously still be a legitimate PR.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slackbloke
Hi Brian.w, I can answer some of your questions through personal experience.
When applying for a British passport they require details of any other passports and copies of the passports. So you can avoid that by applying for the British passport first (I don't recall the reverse being true when applying for an Australian passport).
As for the proof of Australian citizenship to obtain a passport, they changed the rules last year. You have two options; either one parent with a British passport with a visa label in it which has an arrive by date after your child was born or, if you don't have that, you need the evidence of citizenship certificate. The details of the passport as described above are the only form of passport the passport office will accept despite the fact you might not have a label or have passed the arrive by date and obviously still be a legitimate PR.
I'm confused mate some are saying you don't need evidence right now for oz passport and others are? I'm not sure what you mean by label on passport.
I have had my pr since 2008 as it's been so long ago can't remember if label was placed in later or then,or when I validated in oz 2009.
This is in an old passport which I still have but probably not valid anymore as have never passport and no label in that.
I think it's electronically now.
But as pr only last 5 yrs well travel side of it and had to go overseas to family emergency I now have rrv.
So what does this mean when applying for our child's oz passport who was born here 4 weeks ago and has his oz birth cert?
Surely his oz birth cert and either my visa grant letter from 2008 or my rrv letter from 2015 is enough.
Or do I really need to get this evidence of citizenship for him to get his oz passport?
As some said I don't and some I do??
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
"Was the applicant a British national at birth?" - Yes
"Has the applicant been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation by the Home Office?" - No
You need to provide the full names for both the child and the parents. This includes any and all middle names.

My understanding is that the Australian Passport Office will ask for an Evidence of Australian Citizenship certificate if neither parent is an Australian citizen before issuing an Australian passport.
Thanks for the answers I was not sure when they asked about British national if this was born in uk which he is not here in oz but has uk parents on pr here.
Again I was not sure about certificate of registration in this was uk one or oz one be only registered here in oz.
Yes cool on full names even having middle names it was always something I mist out most times so I best use them.

In regards to the oz passport I thought being a pr was good as and child needing evidence of citizenship was not required at this time as born in oz and has oz birth cert?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Your child is a British citizen at birth.
Your full name is just that, your FULL name.
You cannot do it at the post office, follow the online sinstructions. When you go thrugh the online form it will tell you about the documents you need and how to send them.

**see below**.
Others are saying you need the evidence of citizenship to get the child's oz passport bit confused now as it's something I would rather get later on.
He has his birth cert from here surely that's all he needs?

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 8th 2016 at 9:51 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Others are saying you need the evidence of citizenship to get the child's oz passport bit confused now as it's something I would rather get later on.
He has his birth cert from here surely that's all he needs?
https://www.passports.gov.au/passpor...ildapplication

Assemble all the original documents you need to support the application eg full Australian birth certificate, proof of citizenship*, citizenship certificate, court orders, and the child’s current or expired Australian passport if they have one

*A person born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 is an Australian citizen provided that at least one of their parents was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth. A full birth certificate and additional documentation is required to confirm their citizenship.

https://www.passports.gov.au/passpor...tizenship.aspx

If you were born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and one of your parents was an Australian permanent resident, you can provide evidence of your own Australian citizenship with a citizenship certificate issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You will need to apply for this using Form 119 Application for evidence of Australian citizenship (pdf). You should take into account DIBP and passport processing times before booking any travel.

Alternatively, until 31 March 2016, we may accept your parent's foreign passport with an original visa label showing their status as a permanent resident at the time of your birth. You must have been born no more than five years after the visa was granted. If the visa was granted offshore, your parent must have arrived in Australia before you were born.

NOTE THE DATE - YOU WILL NEED TO BE QUICK IF YOU USE THIS ROUTE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.