Child Care Coordinator

Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:03 am
Just Joined

BabyOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Care Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. How exciting!!

My twin sister and i are waiting for our 176 - family sponsored visa. We applied on the 6th Decmeber 2007 - so hoping it will be any day now!!

My question concerns my older sister. The only way to get her and her son to Oz, is the student visa. She has been finding it really hard to make a decision about what course to do. She has looked at hairdressing and the welfare course, but seems to be heading towards the child care course. Do you think this is a good course to eventually get PR on. I'm not sure how long it has been on MODL, but does anyone know if it could one day be removed from the list. I would hate for her to do the 2 year course and then still battle to get her PR.

I would really appreciate any advise anyone has. Thanks!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: Child Care Coordinator

As far as I know, doing the child care course is a big no no. To get PR as a Child Care Co-ordinator you need to have several years experience actually running a centre.
fromm immi website .... The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification.
So just studying for the qualification won't be enough. I looked at this option. I al already a trained child care worker from the UK but because I haven't 'run' a centre with staff I couldn't apply as a co-ordinator.

I then looked at the Welfare course but that isn't on the MODL list so when it came to PR I fell short on points and would have had to do the IELTS test and pass all 4 areas, too risky!

So, I've now decided to do the hairdressing course at Brisbane school of Hairdressing at their campus on the Gold Coast (PM for more details) you can fast track through this course in 16 mths! and 900hrs of work experience is included in the course!

Hope this helps................

Good luck

Becky
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

As Becky says, no. It is not an option. We were told by a very bad agent that we could use this course as a route, but luckly we also had a good agent telling us no we couldn't, forcing me to do my own homework and contact TRA who acesses the qualifications, confirming that you would not pass for a child care coordinator with a diploma.

Personally I am planning to do the IELTS test if I have to. I don't see it being a problem to pass, especially with the quality of the English they think people need to study here (shocking).
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

BabyOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
As Becky says, no. It is not an option. We were told by a very bad agent that we could use this course as a route, but luckly we also had a good agent telling us no we couldn't, forcing me to do my own homework and contact TRA who acesses the qualifications, confirming that you would not pass for a child care coordinator with a diploma.

Personally I am planning to do the IELTS test if I have to. I don't see it being a problem to pass, especially with the quality of the English they think people need to study here (shocking).
Thanks so much for your replys to my question. I didn't realise those were the requirements for PR in respect to that course. Just as well I asked the question, and we didn't waste two years and all that tuition money!!
Looks like hairdressing is the way to go.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by BabyOz
Thanks so much for your replys to my question. I didn't realise those were the requirements for PR in respect to that course. Just as well I asked the question, and we didn't waste two years and all that tuition money!!
Looks like hairdressing is the way to go.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

No problem

I know what its like, this whole thing is like a mine field.

I've been round and round in circles and back again! I still have endless sleepless nights wondering if i'm doing the right thing. IMO hairdressing is the way to go, it may not be your first choice of course but because it is in demand and had been since day one, also has (well the private colleges do) have 900hrs built into the course and you can fast track the course into 72 weeks I don't think yo can go far wrong. Also, it's no more expensive than the TAFE courses. Not much anyway. Only about $2/3K not much in the scheme of things.............

Becky
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Doing hairdressing in Adelaide was FAR more expensive than the TAFE courses. It was something like $23k per year to do it here, and the course I am now doing is just under $10k per year. We just couldn't justify the extra cost, I would rather do the English test.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Doing hairdressing in Adelaide was FAR more expensive than the TAFE courses. It was something like $23k per year to do it here, and the course I am now doing is just under $10k per year. We just couldn't justify the extra cost, I would rather do the English test.
Really? Were they really that expensive? Oh no, the course i'm about to enrol on is $25k. It's registered as a full 2 yr 117 week course but can be fast tracked. The other course I looked at at the TAFE was $22K and that WAS a FULL 2yr course plus that didn't include the 900hrs work experience. So I thought that was pretty good.?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Adelaide doesn't have the same choice of courses as other areas.
Have you checked that if you are fast tracked if you will still have done enough weeks to count as two years full time study?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=pumpkin blossom;6555860]Adelaide doesn't have the same choice of courses as other areas.
Have you checked that if you are fast tracked if you will still have done enough weeks to count as two years full time study?

Yes, checked, doubled checked and checked again! As long as it is registered as being over 92 weeks, it just means that i will have to do 5 days a week with no holidays for the first year then do 2 days a week for the 2nd year. Immi website states...........

You must have met this eligibility requirement in the six (6) months immediately before the date of making your application. To meet this requirement, you must have completed in no less than 16 calendar months, either:

a single qualification requiring at least two (2) academic years study
or
more than one qualification resulting in a total period of at least two (2) academic years study.
Two (2) academic years study
Two (2) academic years study means the equivalent of two (2) years study enrolled at 100% of a full time load. It is a measure of the amount of study you have completed rather than how long it took you to complete the study.

If you are given credit for prior learning it will reduce the amount of study you have completed.

The department will use the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to determine the standard duration of a course. A course that has a registered duration of 92 weeks is considered to be a two year course.

It took me a while to get mt head round the whole thing, but i eventually got it!

Last edited by stumpysean; Jul 10th 2008 at 10:53 am. Reason: copied wrong bit!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

hi becky
my head is spinning trying to come to a decision over the right course. I looked more into the welfare and spoke to the assessing board and they like you to have at least three years experience before being granted PR, but said it can be down to the individual assessor... doesnt sound promising!!!
IT looks like hairdressing for me too, did you say you were looking at goldcoast now. Thats where i will be going (hopefully). Just had house valued and it wasnt as good as we thought, also my husband owns a black cab and now the town hall think hey might deregulate which means my OH taxi plate will be worth zero... which means £30 000 down the drain...so before we can make decisions we have to wait for the outcome of this. Things are going from bad to worse, one minute youre on a high and the nest youre rock bottom. If everything goes OK we hope to be out for themiddle of june 09 after my daughters GCSEs.. take care tina
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anitblue
hi becky
my head is spinning trying to come to a decision over the right course. I looked more into the welfare and spoke to the assessing board and they like you to have at least three years experience before being granted PR, but said it can be down to the individual assessor... doesnt sound promising!!!
IT looks like hairdressing for me too, did you say you were looking at goldcoast now. Thats where i will be going (hopefully). Just had house valued and it wasnt as good as we thought, also my husband owns a black cab and now the town hall think hey might deregulate which means my OH taxi plate will be worth zero... which means £30 000 down the drain...so before we can make decisions we have to wait for the outcome of this. Things are going from bad to worse, one minute youre on a high and the nest youre rock bottom. If everything goes OK we hope to be out for themiddle of june 09 after my daughters GCSEs.. take care tina
Oh poor you!

Nothing seems to be easy does it? We just seems to get things straight in our mind then something else crops up. Luckily for us, we've got somebody buying our business, our house is on the market, although god knows how long that will take to sell. We're hoping to be out end of May time 09. Maybe before if house sells. The courses start every couple of months so that gives you a bit of flexibility.

Yes, we are looking at the Gold Coast, we were originally looking at the Brisbane one but i don't fancy the commute into the CBD on the train every day! so we decided on the Gold Coast college instead.

Let me know if you want to know any more info, keep me posted on your plans.

Becky