Chef/Cook & TRA

Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Jimmeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chef/Cook & TRA

Have been searching these forums but have been unable to find anything which answers my questions definatively.

My girlfriend and I are looking to migrate to Melbourne sometime in the future and we are just looking through the Assessment process.

I'm an IT Manager and am happy that I can get a 'suitable' through ACS Group A.

However, my girlfriend is a Cook/Chef with a Diploma from Leith's College of Food & Wine (a 12 month, full-time course) plus just over 12 months full-time and paid work experience.
Our questions are related to her assessment through the TRA.
  • Does she have enough experience (I've seen 900 hours banded about?!)?
  • How do I determine whether he Diploma from Leiths is AQF equivilent?
  • She has been through no Apprenticeships as such, would a Standard Decleration suffice?
  • Does she need to include ALL relevant payslips as proof of paid work experience, or will a certain percentage suffice?

That's all the questions I can think of a the moment although I'm certain I have more!!
Any help/input much appreciated...

Cheers,
James & Gemma
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

steveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant future
Default Re: Chef/Cook & TRA

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
Have been searching these forums but have been unable to find anything which answers my questions definatively.

My girlfriend and I are looking to migrate to Melbourne sometime in the future and we are just looking through the Assessment process.

However, my girlfriend is a Cook/Chef with a Diploma from Leith's College of Food & Wine (a 12 month, full-time course) plus just over 12 months full-time and paid work experience.
  • She has been through no Apprenticeships as such, would a Standard Decleration suffice?
  • Does she need to include ALL relevant payslips as proof of paid work experience, or will a certain percentage suffice?

That's all the questions I can think of a the moment although I'm certain I have more!!

Cheers,
James & Gemma
Hi James and Gemma.

We have just got our visa going through the TRA chef/cook route which now seems ages ago, from what you have mentioned above I am almost certain that you don't have enough hours at college nor work experience. Its something like 900 hours at college to obtain relevant qualification then I think it was 2 or 4 years actual work experience, minimum. There is a separate chef forum from the main page that may help you further

All the best

Lesley
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lesley - huge thanks for your reply and congrats on obtaining your visa

We've been doing a bit more digging and found this within the FAQ section on the TRA website:

"As of 1 July 2005, applications for pre-migration skills assessment which include an AQF qualification awarded on the basis of acceptable formal training, with the training commencing on or after 1 February 2005, must also provide evidence of relevant and directly related work experience equalling not less than 900 hours."

It doesn't seem to mention minimum hours at College, it just mentions 900 hours work experience which she has - 900 hours is about 6 months unless my Mathematics have let me down seriously! Confused!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Cheers,
James & Gemma
Bump - anyone else?!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Bump - anyone else?!
The 900 hours experience if you study in Australia
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:13 am

Perthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Chef/Cook & TRA

I passed my TRA earlier this year as a Chef - if she went to college for a year full time, then had continuous on the job training by someone (Head Chef/Mentor???) who are willing to give you an extremely detailed reference the IMHO she qualifies for the 900 hours bit?

I was under the impression you had to have experience something like 3 out of the last four years experience and a professional qualification? (I'll check)

I may be wrong - Im sure someone will be along soon to correct me

Good Luck!

P
x
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:28 am

Perthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud ofPerthfect has much to be proud of

Scrap that! As long as you have a formal trade qualification and training on the job IMHO you should be OK.

See this for guidance:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...tember2007.pdf

If I can be of help just PM me?

P
x
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

"As of 1 July 2005, applications for pre-migration skills assessment which include an AQF qualification awarded on the basis of acceptable formal training, with the training commencing on or after 1 February 2005, must also provide evidence of relevant and directly related work experience equalling not less than 900 hours."
Yes that 900 hours is only if you have studied for an actual AQF, meaning in Australia.