Character requirement - parent's record

Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

worriedapplicant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Character requirement - parent's record

Hi, if anybody has any help, or experiences with this would be good.

My father and mother have been apart for 20 + years, and he has a serious criminal record.

I am ovisouly an adult now, and have lived in a different country for the past 15 years, have a disclosure to work with children and do not have involvement with him. estranged I suppose is the word. I want to apply for a 457 visa, but I am really worried that I might fail the character requirement as it states:

You will fail the character test if:

*you have, or have had an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct
Does anyone have experience of this? I will have clean police checks but the visa form asks for parents details doesn it? So should I disclose this in a letter attched, or wait to be asked?
Could this really stop me from fulfilling my dream?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Character requirement - parent's record

Originally Posted by worriedapplicant
Hi, if anybody has any help, or experiences with this would be good.

My father and mother have been apart for 20 + years, and he has a serious criminal record.

I am ovisouly an adult now, and have lived in a different country for the past 15 years, have a disclosure to work with children and do not have involvement with him. estranged I suppose is the word. I want to apply for a 457 visa, but I am really worried that I might fail the character requirement as it states:

Does anyone have experience of this? I will have clean police checks but the visa form asks for parents details doesn it? So should I disclose this in a letter attched, or wait to be asked?
Could this really stop me from fulfilling my dream?
The form only asks for the basic details of your parents. You don't have to declare any criminal records held by them, and DIAC have no means of checking on them. Rest easy, it won't affect you; they are only interested in YOU.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Pollyana, you've put my mind at rest.
It's so not a part of my life that I didn't even think of it until I read that statement on the DI website.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worriedapplicant
Thank you Pollyana, you've put my mind at rest.
It's so not a part of my life that I didn't even think of it until I read that statement on the DI website.
I also have a sister who has a massive record including all sorts, although we have applied for a 136 for which they asked for family details it hasn't been an issue with our application at all.

take care, good luck
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

Thats good news,
I was worried a bit about my Fathers record, I wont go into it as its awful.
But I did wonder how they would check, if they ever did.
I would be gutted if this was the case it wouldn't be fair on my partner.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lainey70
Thats good news,
my sisters is awful too, honestly though i wouldn't let it worry you, there is far too much stress to go through when you are applying for your visa and even after if you are selling your house etc too. only way i think they could check is if they asked you for a lot more personal details and asked your dad for his permission to obtain one too. Can't see htem doing it and i've certainly never read about anything like it on here either.

take care, try not to worry and enjoy the sunshine whilst it lasts x
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

thanks Vickys and everyone again for the posts and reassurance.
Feel much happier about it now!

best of luck to everyone else going through the visa application
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lainey70
Thats good news,
Trust me, they won't check - if fact they have no right to check without the permission of the person with the record. Unless forms have changed recently you are not even asked whether family members have a record, unless they are migrating with you.
Its the people migrating that DIAC are interested in.

The only thing you might want to be aware of is that if those family members with records wish to visit you they need to declare their records and will not be able to just get an ETA online.