Changing where ceremony takes place??

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice
Default Changing where ceremony takes place??

I have been approved for my citizenship and awaiting a date for the ceremony, the date I'm likely to be given from my local council is 4 days before I'm due to leave country on holiday.
As my visa will then be cancelled and will not have time to get an Aus passport i was kind of hoping i could have my ceremony earlier in another Melbourne council.
Can this be done? If so how?

thanks
Amanda
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 12:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing where ceremony takes place??

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
I have been approved for my citizenship and awaiting a date for the ceremony, the date I'm likely to be given from my local council is 4 days before I'm due to leave country on holiday.
As my visa will then be cancelled and will not have time to get an Aus passport i was kind of hoping i could have my ceremony earlier in another Melbourne council.

thanks
Amanda
If you have four days, The Passport Office are able to turn around a passport in 48 hours in the circumstances. However, as I have proved, carrying your (presumably) British Passport as well as certified copies of your Citizenship Certificate is enough for Australian Immigration. Although your visa is in effect cancelled, it is still valid as a RRV because it's five year validation period has time left on it.

Have a read of a post I did after the same situation (except I only had 23 hours between ceremony and leaving the country so couldn't get a passport).

However, if you don't want to do that, then just ring up the number on the invitation to ceremony letter and explain. They will probably just put you on the next ceremony, won't hurt to leave it until you get back.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jun 22nd 2009 at 12:25 pm. Reason: Missed a bit
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:47 pm
Angkorgo

angkorgo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing where ceremony takes place??

Originally Posted by Mandyisere

thanks
Amanda
Amanda,

How long have you had to wait (or been told you'll need to wait) for a citizenship ceremony date after being approved? (And what's your local council?)

I've been waiting three months and have heard nothing... :-)

Thanks in advance!