changes in migration rules july 2007

Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:56 am
jimmy

jimmy011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changes in migration rules july 2007

hi everybody,

i heard some changes are going to take place for skilled migration for students studying in Australia. I have heard they are making work experience compulsary is it true. Can anybody tell about dat.

If rules are changing will it affect current students still studying in Australia.

cheers
jimmy
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: changes in migration rules july 2007

The only change I am aware of is the citizenship requirments, instead of having been in the country for 2 years before you can apply for citizenship, from the 1st of July (although I don't think it is finalised yet) in order to apply for citizenship you will have to have been in Australia for four years. I think this applies to people who have their permanent residency granted after 1st of July 2007, anyone who has their permanent residency granted before 1st of July 2007 will come under the 2 year rule.

I'm not an expert on this, and someone else may have a better idea than me, but I think that is the jist of it.

Dolly
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
The only change I am aware of is the citizenship requirments,
There will almost certainly be significant changes to the immigration rules as well on 1 July.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:35 am
jimmy

jimmy011 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

could you please tell me what changes are going to take place in immigration rules. will it effect current students studying in australia.

cheers
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmy011
hi,

could you please tell me what changes are going to take place in immigration rules. will it effect current students studying in australia.
They haven't announced the new rules yet. If you search around on the DIAC website you might get some indications of what they are planning.

But they certainly could effect current students. DIAC are tired of "skilled graduate" students who cannot obtain skilled employment.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

gmharoun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
They haven't announced the new rules yet. If you search around on the DIAC website you might get some indications of what they are planning.

But they certainly could effect current students. DIAC are tired of "skilled graduate" students who cannot obtain skilled employment.
Does a lodged application before the 1st of July mean that the new rules will or will not apply ??
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:23 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by gmharoun
Does a lodged application before the 1st of July mean that the new rules will or will not apply ??
Depends on what DIAC decide to do.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you search around on the DIAC website you might get some indications of what they are planning.
Any pointers Jeremy?

I've heard today that you WILL have to work in your field for 12 months before PR will be issued.

I must admit, the source isn't the most reliable ... but it is what I've heard.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Any pointers Jeremy?

I've heard today that you WILL have to work in your field for 12 months before PR will be issued.

I must admit, the source isn't the most reliable ... but it is what I've heard.
That was the recommendation of the birrel report. We will have to see whether the govt accepts thus.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by googy
That was the recommendation of the birrel report. We will have to see whether the govt accepts thus.
Personally I don't have much of an issue with this:

'The Report also recommends a temporary visa be available to new graduates from Australian educational institutions to give them time to obtain relevant Australian work experience prior to applying for permanent migrant status'

What I DO have an issue with is whether dependant children's school fee's will still be applicable ?!?

I have a budget which unfortunately doesn't include MORE fee's!!

Hmmmmm
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
What I DO have an issue with is whether dependant children's school fee's will still be applicable ?!?
School fees for temporary residents is a matter to be decided at state/territory level.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
School fees for temporary residents is a matter to be decided at state/territory level.
Also, if I remember correctly, it won't have free medicare as well. So you will have to pay for health insurance. Basically, it will be similiar as the 457 visa i think - no free education and no free health.