Change in the quality of my life

Old Jun 8th 2002, 2:20 pm
Getafix

Default Change in the quality of my life

Encouraged by the helpful responses to the various concerns posted here....including
assistance on toilet seats.... I present my case for a ruthless assessment for my
chances for NZ.

I make 25 marks with the cash component included....but with 21 years as an officer
in the Army(Infantry) what can I expect in NZ in terms of a job. The immigration
consultant I met classified my work experience as "Supply and Transport
Management".Am not really looking for a plush executive leather covered chair...also
trolled and found interesting stuff like Lodge manager which I can do gleefully (if
the owner doesn't mind my Indian origin).

Will possessing Mountaineering certificates from world recognized institutes in India
help in landing( or is it anchoring reasonable employment? Or the fact that I have
varied experience in the military.And am IT-savvy too..but no IT qualifications.

Also looking for a reasonable standard of living. Am 42 and single BTW.

And proof of work experience will probably only certify that I was in the army for
the period I will state in the immigration forms,and won't say Logistics/HRD/Resource
management/Training experience etc.

Its just that I seek a change in my quality of life...after all its the only one I
have..and I've already waited too long.....

So......any response/advise/personal experience is welcome and gratefully
acknowledged in advance from the bottom of my cardiovascular cavities.

Old Jun 8th 2002, 6:29 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Change in the quality of my life

Getafix,

I can't say too much about your chances in NZ because we're not there yet!

But I would say, go for it! Your settlement funds will hardly be depleted if you give yourself, say, a year to find the 'right' job plus enjoy yourself and look around a bit, maybe a hop over to Aus for a holiday too...?

As an ex-infantry officer, presumably you will love having a go at the great outdoors, NZ skiing etc...!

On the job front, some on this board have said in the past that whilst NZ is overtly non racist and operates very strong anti racist policies, certain individuals can be less that fair to those of Indian origen. This means that certain individuals may not give you the same opportunities when you are job hunting as, say, given to those of white European origin. But if you are aware of this and prepared to be flexible and energetic in your job hunting, I am sure that excellent English and the right positive attitude will soon get you a good job.

Plus if I were you I would strengthen your references with work references detailing responsibilities etc from old colleagues, friends etc for each of your previous positions - it doesn't have to be your old boss.

All the best
Old Jun 8th 2002, 10:02 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're looking for a job in mountainering(spelt right?) you must stand a good chance in the old NZ. If you're worried about racisim and NZ hold a very serious policy on racisim I know of a person that put two resumes into each company one as a white person and one as an indian. if reply recieved from white person but not indian( both resumes the same except nationality)he SUED the "£$%%%&^%

bit harsh but if they operate a racist policy they deserve what they get.
Old Jun 10th 2002, 8:34 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Or you could do something with the 'tramping' tourist industry out of Queenstown etc? Or park ranger work? Just an idea.

All the best
Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:14 pm
Getafix

newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Or you could do something with the 'tramping' tourist industry out of Queenstown
    > etc? Or park ranger work? Just an idea.
    >
    > All the best

greatly enthused by the kind postings ,was rushing to the consultant.....when the
pass mark moved up to 28...bummer bummer.... ;-( but thanks ppl