Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Chances of my fiance moving over here form the UK...

Chances of my fiance moving over here form the UK...

Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

MartyK will become famous soon enough
Default Chances of my fiance moving over here form the UK...

Hi there,

about 2 years ago i emigrated over here from the UK to Queensland under my Mum's piano skills.

I have a fiance out in England which i've hado ut here many times and has really liked it.

Unfortunately she has a few diagnosed conditions being 'Epilepsy', 'hydrocephalus' and 'Dandy Walker Syndrome' i would imagine these would make it harder for her to get out here.
But i don't know if me being over here for 2 years has helped?
Anyway i have my citizenship tests in the next few days which should maybe help.

I was wondering what the chances were of getting her to move over here for good and howl ong it would take?
Or keep getting her over here on some sort of visa every 6 months or something.
If not would marrying her help a lot?

She is doing a course this year in being a mental health nurse but i don't know if they are crying out for them out here...

Please help me out.

Many thanks.

Mart
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of my fiance moving over here form the UK...

Originally Posted by MartyK
Hi there,

about 2 years ago i emigrated over here from the UK to Queensland under my Mum's piano skills.

I have a fiance out in England which i've hado ut here many times and has really liked it.

Unfortunately she has a few diagnosed conditions being 'Epilepsy', 'hydrocephalus' and 'Dandy Walker Syndrome' i would imagine these would make it harder for her to get out here.
Anyway i have my citizenship tests in the next few days which should maybe help.

I was wondering what the chances were of getting her to move over here for good and howl ong it would take?

She is doing a course this year in being a mental health nurse but i don't know if they are crying out for them out here...

Please help me out.

Many thanks.

Mart
If you get your citizenship and can prove that you have an on-going relationship then surely she'd qualify for a spouse visa? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this subject will be along in a second to clarify this and/or move your post to the Immigration section.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

hi mate,

yeah thanks very much.

is a spouse visa something temporary or permanent?

cheers

Mart.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:33 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

hi mate,

yeah thanks very much.

is a spouse visa something temporary or permanent?

cheers

Mart.
If you are engaged to be married you can apply for a prospective spouse visa - you would be acting as her sponsor. Go to the main Immigration website and all the information is there about what you need to do. The PSV is a temporary visa which would allow your fiancee to enter Oz the condition being that you must then marry within 9 months of grant of the visa, and then before that visa expires you apply for a spouse visa. Initially, subject to everything being cleared she would be granted a 2 yr temporary visa and then after two years provided you are still married then permanent residency would be granted. That's a basic overview of it!

With regards to the medical situation, i have no idea whether your fiancees health would make matters more difficult or not. I think the overall basis is whether the health issues are likely to cause an inordinate strain on the health system financially. You might be better off speaking to an agent and get some advice from them.

The Prospective spouse visa has to be applied for from outside of Australia - very often they are handled in just a matter of a few weeks (mine took 2 weeks) - but if there are health concerns then usually the medical report gets referred to Australia and this can delay it by a little bit. All the hoops you jump through though are worth it in the end!

Here is the link for partner visas .. and here is the link for the Immigration Health Requirement Fact Sheet.

Good luck with it all
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:00 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mart,

The underlying issue, I suspect, is Dandy-Walker Syndrome, with the hydrocephalus and epilepsy being part of or secondary to it.

Whether or not she gets a visa will not be influenced by you marrying her. What will influence the decision is the extent and severity of her symptoms together with her prognosis.

Les
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Please help me out.

Many thanks.

Mart
There is an agent called Peter Bollard who many people recommend for medical issues. Might be worth a chat. http://users.bigpond.net.au/onk/
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marty

Just to add to what has already been said - If she does fail the medical, there is a waiver that the Minister can exercise - which is not available to those applying for skilled visas - so be careful if you look at threads where people have been refused visas on health grounds as they may not be relevant to the health criteria that apply to the Prospective spouse or spouse visas.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

thano you so much everyone for all your replies.

it is much appreciated.
you have all been so helpful.
i am going to print out all thie info because it all seems useful and is pointing me the right way.

thanks again.

kind regards.

Mart.