Canadian Police Checks....WARNING!!!!

Old Sep 14th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about
Default Canadian Police Checks....WARNING!!!!

Hi everyone,

We are April applicants, and just received a case officer....yippeee!
Just prior to getting a CO I asked our agent to send us details about how to get the meds and police checks done, it turns out that to get Canadian police checks done outside Canadia takes 120 days for them to process....4 MONTHS!!!!!

So if anyone out there has lived in Canada for more than 12 months in the last 10 years I suggest you get moving on the police checks pronto if you haven't already.

Really annoyed that our migration agent didn't pick this up. PLUS she was under the impression we wouldn't get a CO until at least November, and didn't believe me when I told her some April applicants already had a visa. I had enquired in August about front loading our meds and police checks but she said we had plenty of time to do this.

I wish I'd never used an agent, ours is incompetent, cost us a lot of time and money (at least the cost of shipping a dog over!!) I honestly don't think they have added any value. I am sure there are some good agents out there worth their weight in gold, but I would not recommend ours, I'd like to name and shame but I think thats against the forum rules.

Dave
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Police Checks....WARNING!!!!

The 120 days is like the UK ones taking 40 days. It's a guide only. Our Canadian ones took less than 2 weeks to get.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 12:09 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canadian Police Checks....WARNING!!!!

Ours was quick as well. But we got them while we were still in Canada.

I remember reading a thread like this a while back (maybe last year?) and it did mention that getting an overseas police check was a bit more extensive and usually took a few months.

Hopefully it'll take less than the 4 months they've quoted. I do think the agent should have picked up on this. It's states it directly on the website that it takes 120 days to process. Looks like electronic fingerprints could speed things up considerably but unfortunatley this is available outside Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger2_e.htm

So yah.... I would say the agent screwed up.