Canada to Australia ??

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 12:20 am
Medusa

Default Canada to Australia ??

We have been thinking about moving to Australia from Canada. Mainly because me and my
wife love hot weather. However, it is quite different going for vacation and livinig
everyday in hot weather. By the way, we have never been to Australia!

We both speak excellent French and English. How is the career opportunity for
Canadian CA (Chatered Accountant) with Information Technology background? My wife is
Chéf and she would like to open her own restaurant!

We had been searching on the internet. Mainly on Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. We
have been used to the life of Boston, Toronot and Montreal. I love Montréal but I
hate the winter here. Here we really have very cosmpolitan life, lots of festivals,
museaums and good schools.

We also love outdoor life (i.e. Kayaking, Hicking, etc.). You can drive 2 hours from
Montréal and be on nice park to do kayaking and hicking...of course, that has to be
in the summer.

What city would be the similar in Australia? How is the career path compared to N.
America? De l'argent (money) such as salary? Mainly, how is life pace there?

Thanks,
A. Duvadie

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Jaj

Default Re: Canada to Australia ??

>On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:57:35 -0400, "Medusa" <[email protected]> wrote:

>We have been thinking about moving to Australia from Canada. Mainly because me and
    >my wife love hot weather. However, it is quite different going for vacation and
    >livinig everyday in hot weather.

Unless you go to somewhere like Darwin, Townsville or Cairns, you won't be living
*everyday* in hot weather.

Sydney, for example, could be described as 'hot' only from December to February,
although you can get hot spells in spring and autumn too.

>By the way, we have never been to Australia!

It's probably a good idea to visit and take a look before you do something as drastic
as migrating.

>
    >We both speak excellent French and English. How is the career opportunity for
    >Canadian CA (Chatered Accountant) with Information Technology background?

Although the IT job market is not good in Australia, someone who combines finance and
IT skills is better placed to succeed than most.

The Canadian CA qualification is recognised fully in Australia by the Australian
professional bodies, although you would need to sit exams in Australian tax and
company law.

>My wife is Chéf and she would like to open her own restaurant!

It would probably be a good idea to work in an Australian restaurant for a little
while first while acquiring the necessary knowledge of the local business scene (who
are the good suppliers, etc).

>
    >We had been searching on the internet. Mainly on Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. We
    >have been used to the life of Boston, Toronot and Montreal. I love Montréal but I
    >hate the winter here. Here we really have very cosmpolitan life, lots of festivals,
    >museaums and good schools.

If you love Montreal, then Melbourne should be most to your liking. Summer in
Melbourne is probably not that different to Montreal, and winter is mild by
Montreal's standards, daytime temperatures in the low to mid 50s. By the way, most
Australians regard that as bitterly cold

>
    >We also love outdoor life (i.e. Kayaking, Hicking, etc.). You can drive 2 hours from
    >Montréal and be on nice park to do kayaking and hicking...of course, that has to be
    >in the summer.
    >
    >What city would be the similar in Australia?

As stated above, Melbourne would be most similar to Montreal in general.

>How is the career path compared to N. America? De l'argent (money) such as salary?
    >Mainly, how is life pace there?

Probably quite comparable to Canada, rather than the US.

Jeremy

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 4:20 am
Helena

"Medusa" <[email protected]> wrote

> We have been thinking about moving to Australia from Canada. Mainly
because
    > me and my wife love hot weather. However, it is quite different going for vacation
    > and livinig everyday in hot weather. By the way, we have never been to Australia!

Well, if you can, come visit and see for yourself. I know it's expensive but it is
such a huge move and big change. Everyone is different so my views might be
completely different to yours and somebody else's. My husband is Canadian (Montreal),
as are our two kids (Vancouverites). We lived in Vancouver before moving to Perth in
99. I was born and raised in Perth but lived in Canada for many years. Mostly in
Vancouver, also Burlington.

> We both speak excellent French and English. How is the career opportunity for
    > Canadian CA (Chatered Accountant) with Information Technology background?

Not sure but you would likely need to get some Australian training at least, in
accountancy.

> My wife is Chéf and she would like to open her own restaurant!

Lots of room for more restaurants I would think. Australians love eating out.

> We had been searching on the internet. Mainly on Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. We
    > have been used to the life of Boston, Toronot and Montreal.
I
    > love Montréal but I hate the winter here. Here we really have very cosmpolitan
    > life, lots of festivals, museaums and good schools.

Melbourne reminds me of Montreal. Sydney reminds me of Toronto. My family live
outside of Melbourne and I visit there often. I like Melbourne, don't like Sydney.
But then I like Montreal but don't like Toronto. Well, I like Toronto more than
Sydney. But then that's me. I would think Brisbane would be very different from what
you are looking for in a city. To me, it's nothing like Toronto, Montreal or Boston
(only visited there once). More of a big frontier town. Getting bigger and will
likely get more cosmopolitan but not there yet. Certainly not compared to TO or Mtl.
I live in Perth and it, too, is nothing like those two big cities. Perth is more like
San Diego, or like Vancouver was in the 80's.

> We also love outdoor life (i.e. Kayaking, Hicking, etc.). You can drive 2 hours
    > from Montréal and be on nice park to do kayaking and hicking...of course, that has
    > to be in the summer.

There's lots of outdoor life here in Australia, and you would likely have to drive
less time to get there, depending on where you live. Of course, there's a big focus
on beach life here and all the related water sports and activities but we have lots
of bushland for hiking too.

> What city would be the similar in Australia? How is the career path compared to N.
    > America? De l'argent (money) such as salary? Mainly, how
is
    > life pace there?

I mentioned my opinions on the cities above. Career path would depend on which city
but it is difficult in IT now. Accountants always seem to have lots of work though.
Like anywhere with taxes and people wanting to pay less of them. Salary would likely
be lower though. Pace of life slower but then Sydney seems very fast to me. Melbourne
almost as fast but not as intense and frantic. That's my opinion. Sydney's real
estate prices are very high, remember that. Probably worse than Toronto. You've been
lucky in Montreal with more reasonable house prices so it might be a bit of a shock.

Like I said, come and see. Do the research yourself for everyone is different.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Jun 27th 2002, 3:20 am
Medusa

Thanks for giving a good advice. AD "Helena" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Medusa" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > We have been thinking about moving to Australia from Canada. Mainly
    > because
    > > me and my wife love hot weather. However, it is quite different going
for
    > > vacation and livinig everyday in hot weather. By the way, we have never been to
    > > Australia!
    >
    > Well, if you can, come visit and see for yourself. I know it's expensive
but
    > it is such a huge move and big change. Everyone is different so my views might be
    > completely different to yours and somebody else's. My husband is Canadian
    > (Montreal), as are our two kids (Vancouverites). We lived in Vancouver before
    > moving to Perth in 99. I was born and raised in Perth but lived in Canada for many
    > years. Mostly in Vancouver, also Burlington.
    >
    > > We both speak excellent French and English. How is the career
opportunity
    > > for Canadian CA (Chatered Accountant) with Information Technology background?
    >
    > Not sure but you would likely need to get some Australian training at
least,
    > in accountancy.
    >
    > > My wife is Chéf and she would like to open her own restaurant!
    >
    > Lots of room for more restaurants I would think. Australians love eating out.
    >
    > > We had been searching on the internet. Mainly on Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
    > > We have been used to the life of Boston, Toronot and
Montreal.
    > I
    > > love Montréal but I hate the winter here. Here we really have very cosmpolitan
    > > life, lots of festivals, museaums and good schools.
    >
    > Melbourne reminds me of Montreal. Sydney reminds me of Toronto. My family live
    > outside of Melbourne and I visit there often. I like Melbourne, don't like Sydney.
    > But then I like Montreal but don't like Toronto. Well, I like Toronto more than
    > Sydney. But then that's me. I would think Brisbane
would
    > be very different from what you are looking for in a city. To me, it's nothing like
    > Toronto, Montreal or Boston (only visited there once). More
of
    > a big frontier town. Getting bigger and will likely get more cosmopolitan but not
    > there yet. Certainly not compared to TO or Mtl. I live in Perth
and
    > it, too, is nothing like those two big cities. Perth is more like San Diego, or
    > like Vancouver was in the 80's.
    >
    > > We also love outdoor life (i.e. Kayaking, Hicking, etc.). You can drive
    > > hours from Montréal and be on nice park to do kayaking and hicking...of course,
    > > that has to be in the summer.
    >
    > There's lots of outdoor life here in Australia, and you would likely have
to
    > drive less time to get there, depending on where you live. Of course, there's a big
    > focus on beach life here and all the related water sports
and
    > activities but we have lots of bushland for hiking too.
    >
    > > What city would be the similar in Australia? How is the career path compared to
    > > N. America? De l'argent (money) such as salary? Mainly, how
    > is
    > > life pace there?
    >
    > I mentioned my opinions on the cities above. Career path would depend on which city
    > but it is difficult in IT now. Accountants always seem to have lots of work though.
    > Like anywhere with taxes and people wanting to pay
less
    > of them. Salary would likely be lower though. Pace of life slower but then Sydney
    > seems very fast to me. Melbourne almost as fast but not as intense and frantic.
    > That's my opinion. Sydney's real estate prices are very high, remember that.
    > Probably worse than Toronto. You've been lucky in Montreal with more reasonable
    > house prices so it might be a bit of a shock.
    >
    > Like I said, come and see. Do the research yourself for everyone is different.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Helena

Old Jun 27th 2002, 5:20 am
Medusa

Thanks for the advise. AD

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:57:35 -0400, "Medusa" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >We have been thinking about moving to Australia from Canada. Mainly
because
    > >me and my wife love hot weather. However, it is quite different going
for
    > >vacation and livinig everyday in hot weather.
    >
    > Unless you go to somewhere like Darwin, Townsville or Cairns, you won't be living
    > *everyday* in hot weather.
    >
    > Sydney, for example, could be described as 'hot' only from December to February,
    > although you can get hot spells in spring and autumn too.
    >
    >
    > >By the way, we have never been to Australia!
    >
    > It's probably a good idea to visit and take a look before you do something as
    > drastic as migrating.
    >
    >
    > >
    > >We both speak excellent French and English. How is the career
opportunity
    > >for Canadian CA (Chatered Accountant) with Information Technology background?
    >
    >
    > Although the IT job market is not good in Australia, someone who combines finance
    > and IT skills is better placed to succeed than most.
    >
    > The Canadian CA qualification is recognised fully in Australia by the Australian
    > professional bodies, although you would need to sit exams in Australian tax and
    > company law.
    >
    > >My wife is Chéf and she would like to open her own restaurant!
    >
    > It would probably be a good idea to work in an Australian restaurant for a little
    > while first while acquiring the necessary knowledge of the local business scene
    > (who are the good suppliers, etc).
    >
    > >
    > >We had been searching on the internet. Mainly on Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
    > >We have been used to the life of Boston, Toronot and Montreal.
I
    > >love Montréal but I hate the winter here. Here we really have very cosmpolitan
    > >life, lots of festivals, museaums and good schools.
    >
    > If you love Montreal, then Melbourne should be most to your liking. Summer in
    > Melbourne is probably not that different to Montreal, and winter is mild by
    > Montreal's standards, daytime temperatures in the low to mid 50s. By the way, most
    > Australians regard that as bitterly cold
    >
    >
    > >
    > >We also love outdoor life (i.e. Kayaking, Hicking, etc.). You can drive
    > >hours from Montréal and be on nice park to do kayaking and hicking...of course,
    > >that has to be in the summer.
    > >
    > >What city would be the similar in Australia?
    >
    > As stated above, Melbourne would be most similar to Montreal in general.
    >
    >
    > >How is the career path compared to N. America? De l'argent (money) such as salary?
    > >Mainly, how
is
    > >life pace there?
    >
    > Probably quite comparable to Canada, rather than the US.
    >
    >
    > Jeremy