Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

can you work in australia on a 475 until 176 is granted?

can you work in australia on a 475 until 176 is granted?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

h-jp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can you work in australia on a 475 until 176 is granted?

i have applied for a 175 but am currently trying to obtain state sponsorship from wa so if/when that comed through it will be changed to a 176.
i wsa just wondering if you could work in oz on a 475 regional sponsored visa until the pr visa is granted and when the 176 is granted we just leave the country to validate and then we are working on that is this the case?
my understanding is that a 475 is processed faster than 176.
also if you are working on a 475 then after 2 years you apply for pr residency do they still use the list system and if you skill has been removed from the modl or csl will they not consider you for pr even though you have worked there for 2 years?
kind regards
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you work in australia on a 475 until 176 is granted?

do you mean 475 or 457?

457 takes a few weeks

475 also needs state sponsorship and seems to take the same time as the 176 now. No advantage in getting that really if you get the 176 sponsorship.

Nowdays I shouldn't think theres a lot of point in the 457 either if you have a 176 about to be granted.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:06 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
do you mean 475 or 457?

457 takes a few weeks

475 also needs state sponsorship and seems to take the same time as the 176 now. No advantage in getting that really if you get the 176 sponsorship.

Nowdays I shouldn't think theres a lot of point in the 457 either if you have a 176 about to be granted.
Actually we've just had clients doing that, they wanted to buy property without worrying about the FIRB, wanted to avoid education fees for their kids, and were keen to become citizens quickly. It was an unusual situation as the 475 was granted very quickly as they were statutory deposit fiasco victims, but the whole scenario made sense.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

do 475 not need FIRB then? I thought unless PR you had to go through them. and again I though education fees were for non PR. We may end up on a 475 so its good to know there are fewer restrictins than we thought.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Safin
do 475 not need FIRB then? I thought unless PR you had to go through them. and again I though education fees were for non PR. We may end up on a 475 so its good to know there are fewer restrictins than we thought.
Oh just found this

http://www.firb.gov.au/content/policy.asp

basically firb for foreign residents about to be lifted! No PR requirements. Still in place for non residents.