Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can you fail your medical for being too fat?

Can you fail your medical for being too fat?

Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Tommy Gun will become famous soon enough
Default Can you fail your medical for being too fat?

I'm fit enough, but a bit of a donut. Also, I've recieved a case number saying they've recieved my application,(my trade is on the MODL list) how long will it be before I have to take my medical, need to get on the treadmill big time,
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you fail your medical for being too fat?

Originally Posted by Tommy Gun
I'm fit enough, but a bit of a donut. Also, I've recieved a case number saying they've recieved my application,(my trade is on the MODL list) how long will it be before I have to take my medical, need to get on the treadmill big time,
It seems that the main concern is if you have anything wrong then how much will it cost to put right. You do get weighed with your medical amongst other things. Don't know how long things are taking now as they have speeded up since we were at that stage. Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2005, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Check out RabC's threads - he's been through it all...!! And his info should help you a lot. MODL doesn't seem to make much difference these days. Meds requests were about 3 months a while ago, but now seem to have slowed down to about four months or more. Good luck! Michelle
Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

There is also another girl I know on here and I can't mention her name but she got through and was very over weight and had medical problems. She was lovely. She has her visas now and is happy as larry,
Yeah Rab threads are fantastic and he got it and kept me sane, The weight worry is my worst nightmare.
big fat hugs Lace x
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lacey21
There is also another girl I know on here and I can't mention her name but she got through and was very over weight and had medical problems. She was lovely. She has her visas now and is happy as larry,
Yeah Rab threads are fantastic and he got it and kept me sane, The weight worry is my worst nightmare.
big fat hugs Lace x
Cheers. How do I find RabC's threads?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Just write rabc in the search and all his threads will come up
cheers Lace x
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lacey21
Just write rabc in the search and all his threads will come up
cheers Lace x
Thanks, hope they don't give me an IQ test.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Christ is they give us both one we'll both be in the shit lol lol
lace x
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Can you fail your medical for being too fat?

To prepare for the app I lost 4 stone and still have another 2 stone to lose. Only to speak to someone in DIMIA to find out that as I had no underlying medical condition that I didnt need to have lost all that weight!!

He actually said that they allow big rugby players through so I shouldnt have worried.Unless as I mentioned I had an underlying medical condition due to my weight.

But at least I am 4 stone lighter now x Try not to worry about it. I felt reassured when they told me that.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:23 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

They go by your Body Mass Index
I think it was like this , but if you search for BMI on here you'll find the table no doubt.
BMI < 35 is ok
BMI > 35 they look harder
BMI >40 the mark it a cat-b

The look harder and cat-b bits are purely and simply to look to see if you have underlying medical conditions caused by weight. Like, diabetes, heart issues, etc. If you have not got these, and have never presented with them then they will not look twice. Either of these two are also not a huge problem.

Cat-B means a referral to a Dr at this end in Aus where the Dr reviews the medical himself instead of just rubber stamping it - it adds about 2 weeks to your processing time (or used to) and this is the guy that will request further medical history information IF they think you've got a major problem. Cat-A still gets reviewed by a Dr but its a rubber stamp rather than an inspection of the forms.

There is a website where you can search for appeals for people failing visa's for medicals I had a look about 9mths ago all of the failures were to do with HIV or extremely serious life threatening illnesses.

This is all stuff I gleaned from researching this stuff last year when my BMI was well below those stated above, after 4 mths of Aussie Pies, Cold-Rock Ice Cream, $2 lager, I fear that I would not be so lucky again and need to get on the running machine ;-)
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:25 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Can you fail your medical for being too fat?

Probably depends where you want to live Tommy. Perth seems full of tasty chicks joggin along the foreshore in tight lycra, whereas Brissie had lots of happy bloaters, eating Maccas and watching the rugby.

As for the IQ test, if you're like me and fail, we'll have to meet up for a beer when we're both settled in Hobart.

Good luck mate.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lewis,
I am all in for Brissy then lol lol
lace x
Old Aug 31st 2005, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

If you are too fat to get through the doctors door then you may fail, I read somewhere that doctors don't like doing the medical exam in the car park

Hope this helps?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Ah Ha! Another worried soul with a bit of a wobble! Worry not my friend all will be well. As others rightly say take a look at my "To fat for Oz?" threads. They will tell all

In a nutshell check out your BMI (body mass index). If it's under 40 and you have nothing else wrong then you will be fine. If it's over 40 and there is nothing wrong go to your GP and get weighed/bp taken, take some advice and go on a diet/excercise regime. (if only for your health!) Before your medicals go back to your GP and get your weight/bp done again and get him to write a letter confirming your weight is dropping, your BP is OK and you are free from serious health issues. Insist on this letter going with your medical forms.

Above all don't panic, if you are generally well you will be fine. Check out my rollercoaster ride! I did my meds with a BMI of 40.6, included the letter and there was nothing else wrong with me (although I was a cat B) and got the visa with the full 12 months entry.

I words from the wise though - start now! You never know when the request will come, the quicker you get your meds done the quicker your visa will follow.

Good luck, I am upto my eyeballs in shipping, flights and tons of other stuff at the moment so I cant spend as much time on here as I would like but if you need any support or advice, PM me.

Rob
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rob,
your an inspiration
hugs
lAce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.