Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can we move with a combination of 651+600 visas?

Can we move with a combination of 651+600 visas?

Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

jc.murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we move with a combination of 651+600 visas?

I'm hoping to move to Australia for a year at least, along with my pregnant wife (due December) and 2 year old.

I currently have a job that is handy for this sort of travel. I work 100% remotely as a PAYE employee for a UK based company. My wife doesn't work, she's just a full time mum.

We are both in our 20s.

I earn about £60k ($100k AUD). That should be enough to support us all.

Is it going to be possible for us to move in the near future with a 651 working holiday visa for me, and a 600 visitor visa for my wife and toddler?

I would probably continue working for the British company.

​​​​​​I'm nearly in a position to lodge my 189 EOI so hopefully we'll end up being granted full time residency within a year. However we don't want to wait if we don't have to!

​​Who would give an official answer on whether this is possible?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Can we move with a combination of 651+600 visas?

I meant 417 working holiday visa
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc.murray
I meant 417 working holiday visa
No.
Reason being that your child is going with you, and one of the rules for a 417 is that you cannot be accompanied by dependent children.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Ah yes, thats the main problem. What I mean is, can I enter the country on my own on a 417 then my wife and baby enter separately on a 600?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

I work indirectly for Commonwealth Bank, so perhaps our stay could be treated as a business visit under a 600 visa. There is a high chance that I would meet with them at least once .
Old Jun 17th 2018, 9:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, thats the main problem. What I mean is, can I enter the country on my own on a 417 then my wife and baby enter separately on a 600?
Again, no. You cannot have dependents with you on the 417.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 11:37 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in Australia on a 417 then your dependent child must remain offshore.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Is there any way that we can move without waiting up to a year for the 189 visa to come through?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Is there any way that we can move without waiting up to a year for the 189 visa to come through?
You can't "move" permanently without a permanent visa. You can get tourist visas and visit, you can come alone on a 417, but to move with an eye to staying permanently you need the PR granted.
What would you do if the 189 wasn't granted?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

If it wasn't granted then we would have to move back. A bigger concern for me would be losing my UK based job whilst being in Australia without the ability to work.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 1:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What's your rush?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What's your rush?
At the moment we're living with my parents in their small house and it's slightly uncomfortable for everyone.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If you lodge an eoi for a 189 soon, you should get an invite and subsequent grant fairly quickly as the new financial year which is also the new year for the immigration department is July 1 and things tend to move pretty quickly in the period just after.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 12:36 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment we're living with my parents in their small house and it's slightly uncomfortable for everyone.
so rent something elsewhere whilst you wait? Immigration isn’t fast nor does it have short cuts... missus and kids stays with parents and you head off to Oz alone is option one, rent somewhere else together and wait for skilled visa is option 2,stay where you are, wait and grind your teeth, option 3