Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can Mum come to live as a permanent tourist?!!

Can Mum come to live as a permanent tourist?!!

Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Mum come to live as a permanent tourist?!!

Hi All,

I'm in Oz as a PR, been here as a PR for a year now and was here before on a WHV (6 months).

Mum is getting itchy feet to come (migrate) here to be closer to me (+ potential grand-children me thinks )!!

We are looking into her visa options, basically she's almost at retirement age so she's not looking to work or anything, she will just stay and do her own things that just <60 year old mums do. We've looked and read all possible visa's and the conditions of each, but need to make a decision:
1) Suck it in and spend the $$$ on the Parent Sponsored Contribution visa (2 years processing at the mo)
2) Apply now for the Parent Sponsored (non-contribution) - 10 years processing time
3) Just come as a tourist and stay for 12 months at a time, with on-going renewals.

We like a combination of 2 and 3 above, where mum stays as a tourist for the 10 years whilst her parent visa is processed, but I'm worried that eventually the Australian Government will cotton on and may say "No further stays allowed" in the 10 years staying as a tourist.

Does anyone else have similar experience / have thought / are doing this? Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

(Also, mum and dad emigrated to Perth back in 1981, stayed for a year but things didn't work out. Whats the chances of her getting a 'resident-return visa' esp as she has 'compelling reason to return' now that I'm here)?!!!!

Thanks a million!
Mark
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:54 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Mum come to live as a permanent tourist?!!

Originally Posted by msn81
Hi All,

I'm in Oz as a PR, been here as a PR for a year now and was here before on a WHV (6 months).

Mum is getting itchy feet to come (migrate) here to be closer to me (+ potential grand-children me thinks )!!

We are looking into her visa options, basically she's almost at retirement age so she's not looking to work or anything, she will just stay and do her own things that just <60 year old mums do. We've looked and read all possible visa's and the conditions of each, but need to make a decision:
1) Suck it in and spend the $$$ on the Parent Sponsored Contribution visa (2 years processing at the mo)
2) Apply now for the Parent Sponsored (non-contribution) - 10 years processing time
3) Just come as a tourist and stay for 12 months at a time, with on-going renewals.

We like a combination of 2 and 3 above, where mum stays as a tourist for the 10 years whilst her parent visa is processed, but I'm worried that eventually the Australian Government will cotton on and may say "No further stays allowed" in the 10 years staying as a tourist.

Does anyone else have similar experience / have thought / are doing this? Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

(Also, mum and dad emigrated to Perth back in 1981, stayed for a year but things didn't work out. Whats the chances of her getting a 'resident-return visa' esp as she has 'compelling reason to return' now that I'm here)?!!!!

Thanks a million!
Mark
I've moved your thread to the immigration part of the forum as you will probably get more constructive answers in there mate
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot live in Australia as a tourist. You would be best to speak to a migration agent about her options, but from a layperson's view she would be best to apply for the contributory parent visa and wait the 2 years. She could come for visits during the processing, surely.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Still be nice to hear if there are limits to the tourist option though, many of us have parents that don't meet the tests - other sometimes estranged siblings - or haven't got the $$$ to get the contributory parent visa
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

cbms is an unknown quantity at this point

Same boat here, I was looking into getting the motherin law over but due to the balance of family she fails even though she is estranged from her two sons.

I believe ( feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but if you go for the holiday visa ie 6 months or 12 months they expect you to stay back in your country for the smae period of time so stay in oz for 12 months then UK for 12 months as is our case. not ideal for a grand mother or my wife.

I will be interested to see what others might have researched.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Still be nice to hear if there are limits to the tourist option though, many of us have parents that don't meet the tests - other sometimes estranged siblings - or haven't got the $$$ to get the contributory parent visa
The main limit is that she can be refused entry into the country if it is suspected she if trying to stay permanently on a tourist visa.

Best not push your luck

G
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

dippynsippy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just been granted a PR visa but unfortunately couldnot include my mother's name as dependent in my application because of my stupidity (lack of knowledge). Should I inform my CO now?

My mother is old enough (around 69 years old) but she doesnot pass the family balance test. She is substantially dependent on me.

I desperately need her to be with me in the shortest possible time. Please guys suggest how can i invite her to join me in Australia?

Need your urgent help
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:27 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dippynsippy
I have just been granted a PR visa but unfortunately couldnot include my mother's name as dependent in my application because of my stupidity (lack of knowledge). Should I inform my CO now?

My mother is old enough (around 69 years old) but she doesnot pass the family balance test. She is substantially dependent on me.

I desperately need her to be with me in the shortest possible time. Please guys suggest how can i invite her to join me in Australia?

Need your urgent help
How come you *forgot* to include your mother in your application when she is "substantially dependant on you"? With all due respect the forms state for you to name all your dependants.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Need your urgent help
It is too late to add anybody to your application once it has been granted, so telling your CO will achieve nothing at all.

I am not sure what you mean by it was stupidity or a lack of knowledge on your part to not add your mother in the first place. If she really is your dependent then I don't see how you could have forgotten this. If you had added her, you would have had to prove she was completely dependent, adding a parent is not an easy thing like adding a child.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
There aren't any published limits, just the advice from DIAC that if they don't believe a tourist visa is being used for tourism purposes, then they can - and will - refuse entry.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Need your urgent help
Showing that she is dependant only on you is like others have said very very difficult, because she fails the balance of family then they could argue that her siblings would be able to take over the care of her. Also if she is that dependant on you and you had her on your application and she was to fail her medical then you would all fail.

They would want to see that you are financially looking after her rather than emotionally. It has been said before on this forum that because the UK has the NHS etc that the state can look after your mother ( I know it is not right I am just saying that is how it is) unlike if you where from another country that does not have a NHS type of service then they would see that she would be more dependant on the family.

Thisis only from my own research on this topic they also will require records going back two years to show that she is a dependant all very difficult
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
The main limit is that she can be refused entry into the country if it is suspected she if trying to stay permanently on a tourist visa.

Best not push your luck

G

Thanks - you're right - point taken. I guess it is a 'short term' (DIAC) vias.

Will probably get mum to sponsored contributory parent visa, but she wants to come now and not wait 2 / 10 years until the permanent visa gets processed. She's willing to get the contributory visa over the 10 year wait, but was curious if there was another way rather than forking out the $ for the fast-track option. I think 10 years as a tourist is pushing your luck, but 2 or 3...?

However, I also think that the DIAC have more pressing things to worry about than a 57 year old woman applying for a second tourist visa back-to back!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There aren't any published limits, just the advice from DIAC that if they don't believe a tourist visa is being used for tourism purposes, then they can - and will - refuse entry.
Thanks Pollyana, but what if my mum is here on genuine tourism purposes - i.e. she plans to be a lady of leisure - as DIAC suggest: 'For people to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes.'

I guess the key word is 'short-term' - who defines what is short-term here??? (is 2 or 3 years short-term)?

Thank you!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Following on fromwhat I said msn81 - you mum could always go down the route of a study visa, that way she can do a course and then stay for the duration of the course it is an option but I guess it could be a bit expensive however she is permitted to work 20 hours a week might be worth looking into?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cbms
Following on fromwhat I said msn81 - you mum could always go down the route of a study visa, that way she can do a course and then stay for the duration of the course it is an option but I guess it could be a bit expensive however she is permitted to work 20 hours a week might be worth looking into?
Cheers cbms, I have thought about that one also, but it seemed more hassle with enrolling her at Uni and everything. Also considered the Resident Return Visa (they came in 1981 for a year but went back after not settling) but I doubt they'd agree to this after a 27 year gap!!!

I think she better stick with trying a tourist visa for a couple of years and suck it in and apply in the meantime for the parent contributory visa.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Not perfect, but at least she has a route in. Lots have to work around the system to make it and lots can't even do that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.