Can I return to Australia?????

Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Dustyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can I return to Australia?????

I recieved a Perm. Res. visa Sub Class 136 on 16th Nov. 2005. It states on the visa 'Multipe Travel' 'Permitted to stay in Australia indefinitely'.

I entered Australia on 8th Feb. 06, however I had to return to Ireland only 7 weeks later! I've been out of Australia ever since, i.e nearly 2 years now. I never applied for a returning resident visa, should I have?

My question is can I return to Australia? I was hoping to return later this year. I wonder hoever can I now? will they, Immigration officials, stop me?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I return to Australia?????

Originally Posted by Dustyman
I recieved a Perm. Res. visa Sub Class 136 on 16th Nov. 2005. It states on the visa 'Multipe Travel' 'Permitted to stay in Australia indefinitely'.

I entered Australia on 8th Feb. 06, however I had to return to Ireland only 7 weeks later! I've been out of Australia ever since, i.e nearly 2 years now. I never applied for a returning resident visa, should I have?

My question is can I return to Australia? I was hoping to return later this year. I wonder hoever can I now? will they, Immigration officials, stop me?
It should say on your visa "Must not arrive after [date]."

What is the date?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply.
It states on my visa 'must not arrive after 16 Nov 10'. My understanding was that the visa would be invalid if I tried to arrive after that date. However I 'arrived' in Australia on 8th Feb. 06. I was just wondering should I have applied for a 'returning resident visa' before i left? Will they stop me now. I've been out of Oz for 2 years now.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply.
It states on my visa 'must not arrive after 16 Nov 10'. My understanding was that the visa would be invalid if I tried to arrive after that date. However I 'arrived' in Australia on 8th Feb. 06. I was just wondering should I have applied for a 'returning resident visa' before i left? Will they stop me now. I've been out of Oz for 2 years now.
The clue is in the words "Multiple Travel". The visa lets you enter Australia as a resident more than once.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Is the returning resident visa therefore only for someone who, is outside Australia and their visa has expired (because they stayed out to long) or for a PR visa holder who's visa will expire during their time outside of Australia.
Excuse my ignorance on these matters!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is the returning resident visa therefore only for someone who, is outside Australia and their visa has expired (because they stayed out to long) or for a PR visa holder who's visa will expire during their time outside of Australia.
The return resident visa is for people both inside and outside of Australia, when the PR visa has expired, subject to various conditions.

Your own visa will be valid for as many entries as you wish to make, up until 16 Nov 2010. Until then you are covered by the bit that says multiple entry. You don't need to worry about RRV until after 16 Nov 2010.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

Form 968i is recommended:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Incidentally, if you want to become an Australian citizen under the 2 year residence rule, you need to move quickly. If you cannot accumulate 2 years physical presence and apply for citizenship before 30 June 2010, you will need to wait 4 years for citizenship.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:41 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Form 968i is recommended:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Incidentally, if you want to become an Australian citizen under the 2 year residence rule, you need to move quickly. If you cannot accumulate 2 years physical presence and apply for citizenship before 30 June 2010, you will need to wait 4 years for citizenship.
As you can spend up to a year outside of Australia and still qualify under the "4 years" rule doesnt this effectivly mean you only have to have 3 years physical presence in Australia as long as you validated at least 4 years prior to application provided that this presence includes 9 of the prior 12 months?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ex_exile
As you can spend up to a year outside of Australia and still qualify under the "4 years" rule doesnt this effectivly mean you only have to have 3 years physical presence in Australia as long as you validated at least 4 years prior to application provided that this presence includes 9 of the prior 12 months?
The rule is:
" (1) Subject to this section, for the purposes of section 21 a person satisfies the residence requirement if:

(a) the person was present in Australia for the period of 4 years immediately before the day the person made the application; and
(b) the person was not present in Australia as an unlawful non-citizen at any time during that 4 year period; and
(c) the person was present in Australia as a permanent resident for the period of 12 months immediately before the day the
person made the application.

(1A) If:
(a) the person was absent from Australia for a part of the period of 4 years immediately before the day the person made the application; and
(b) the total period of the absence or absences was not more than 12 months;
then, for the purposes of paragraph (1)(a), the person is taken to have been present in Australia during each period of absence.

(1B) If:
(a) the person was absent from Australia for a part of the period of 12 months immediately before the day the person made the application; and
(b) the total period of the absence or absences was not more than 3 months; and
(c) the person was a permanent resident during each period of absence;

then, for the purposes of paragraph (1)(c), the person is taken to have been present in Australia as a permanent resident during each period of absence."

So maybe in some circumstances the 4 year requirement effectively drops to 3 years.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Can I return to Australia?????

Thanks for replies folks and info contained. Much appreciated.
Thank you!