Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can I Leave Aust. for a vacation after PR application?

Wikiposts

Can I Leave Aust. for a vacation after PR application?

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:30 pm
Jack.

Default Can I Leave Aust. for a vacation after PR application?

Dear friends,

I intend to lodge my permanent residency application this month.

Am wondering if I do so, will I be able to go back to the UK to spend Xmas
with my family in December?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Jack.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:43 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Leave Aust. for a vacation after PR application?

Originally Posted by Jack.
I intend to lodge my permanent residency application this month.

Am wondering if I do so, will I be able to go back to the UK to spend Xmas
with my family in December?
Hi Jack

No one will be able to give you a decent answer unless you provide us with some basic details, for instance - what visa are you holding now and what permanent visa subclass did you apply for?

Peter
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:30 pm
Jack.

Dear Peter,

In response to your query, I am currently on a temporary stay visa (as I
have been taken up for employment here for the university). Previously, i
had a student visa. Now, i intend to apply for a skilled migration visa.
After lodging the skilled migration visa for permanent residency, I hear
from some people i can leave the country but my visa processing will be
frozen till i return. some other people say I cannot leave at all.

so i thought you'd be able to clear the air for me. thank you peter.

Jack.

Old Sep 6th 2004, 2:43 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack.
In response to your query, I am currently on a temporary stay visa (as I have been taken up for employment here for the university). Previously, i had a student visa. Now, i intend to apply for a skilled migration visa. After lodging the skilled migration visa for permanent residency, I hear from some people i can leave the country but my visa processing will be frozen till i return. some other people say I cannot leave at all.

so i thought you'd be able to clear the air for me. thank you peter.
You should read the Skilled Migration Booklet to find out which visa subclass suits you best. If you are applying for an offshore skilled visa, there is no question of 'freezing' your application until you return.

Peter
Old Sep 6th 2004, 3:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ptlabs
You should read the Skilled Migration Booklet to find out which visa subclass suits you best. If you are applying for an offshore skilled visa, there is no question of 'freezing' your application until you return.

Peter
The possible permutations of trip timing, substatantive visa expiry, and the issue of a Bridging Visa B, are far too complex for an online forum to act as 'advisor'.

Ther risk of getting confused, being stuck outside Australia, and having an onshore PR visa application refused (on the basis that one's outside Australia) is too high.

Get professional advice.

Jeremy
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:42 am
Jack.

Thanks for your input, Jeremy and Peter.

Will seek professional advice.