Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can I apply for a student visa whilst on a WHV?

Can I apply for a student visa whilst on a WHV?

Old May 18th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Phumfeinz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I apply for a student visa whilst on a WHV?

Hi guys, quick question.

Is it possible to apply for a Student Visa whilst on a Working Holiday Visa?

I plan on heading over on a WHV, and extending it for a year. Then hopefully apply for a Student Visa near the end and carry on living in Australia via that route.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I apply for a student visa whilst on a WHV?

Originally Posted by Phumfeinz
Hi guys, quick question.

Is it possible to apply for a Student Visa whilst on a Working Holiday Visa?

I plan on heading over on a WHV, and extending it for a year. Then hopefully apply for a Student Visa near the end and carry on living in Australia via that route.
yep, my son is here on a whv at the moment which runs out in August and is just about to apply for a student visa (through a fantastic agent)
Old May 19th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Streaks
yep, my son is here on a whv at the moment which runs out in August and is just about to apply for a student visa (through a fantastic agent)
Great, that's good to know.

My father also lives in Australia so I'll have somewhere to stay as well.
Old May 19th 2008, 11:03 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phumfeinz
Great, that's good to know.

My father also lives in Australia so I'll have somewhere to stay as well.
Hi Phum,

Whether you can apply for a student visa while onshore depends on what the assessment level is for the type of course being studied and the passport of citizenship of the person concerned. To make an onshore student visa application as the holder of another visa, as of right, you should be Assessment Level 1. While I'm sure that 80% of the people who visit British Expats will have no problem, there are sometimes surprises. See http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1219i.pdf for the full current list.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 20th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Phum,

Whether you can apply for a student visa while onshore depends on what the assessment level is for the type of course being studied and the passport of citizenship of the person concerned. To make an onshore student visa application as the holder of another visa, as of right, you should be Assessment Level 1. While I'm sure that 80% of the people who visit British Expats will have no problem, there are sometimes surprises. See http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1219i.pdf for the full current list.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm British so I'll be ok .