Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

can anyone help mechanic trying to get to oz

can anyone help mechanic trying to get to oz

Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

benji24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile can anyone help mechanic trying to get to oz

hi im a 24 year old mechanic with partner and 1 year old daughter, has anyone any info on the vetasess tests, what they involve ect? or anywhere i can find australian employers looking for mechanics. i have been in the trade since 2000 working on cars and vans. currently working for big van rental company. loooking for any info for best way to get there. thanks
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of
Default Re: can anyone help mechanic trying to get to oz

There's been some discussion on the VETASSESS practical tests. Use the 'search' facility to see if you can find anything. Not sure if they cover mechanics or not, but they may help.

With regard to job searching, try www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au. As a mechanic I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a position here. In Sydney at least they're crying out for them. In fact we had a client recently who was let down by his employer/sponsor and had to go looking for another position with two days left on his visa. By the end of the his first day looking he had three firm offers.

Good luck
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

destination_Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can anyone help mechanic trying to get to oz

Alright mate

I'm also a mech trying to get to Oz. From what I can make out there's mainly 2 ways of doing it:

A sponsored visa - where you need an employer in Oz to sponsor you. The down side to this is that you are then tied to that job for at least 2 years before you can apply for citizenship, if you leave that job you only have 6 weeks to find another sponsor, after that you must leave the country. This option is a bit more risky but usually much cheaper than the skilled independant visa.

Skilled Independant Visa - this is the one I'm going for. It's a bit more expensive but with this visa you wont be tied down to a job that you may not like. Another down side to this is that you have to take a trade assessment which is, apparently quite in-depth.

I have an agency doing all the work for me and the whole thing is costing around £3500 - £4000. You can do it yourself for about £1500 - £2000 I think. The only reason I have an agent doing it is because I work in the middle east and don't have the time to do it myself.

If you want to go down the sponsored route it might be worth you calling a guy named Andrew Tarrant on 02078633308, it's a UK number. I can't vouch for this guy it's just a number I was given. But I think it is work in the mines so the money will be top dollar. A word of warning though, I've been contracting for a while and contracting companies do tend to bend the truth when they're looking to get lads on their books. Still it might be worth a phone call.

Good luck