Can a 1st cousin offer sponsorship?????

Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:59 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can a 1st cousin offer sponsorship?????

Hi all
We are hoping to emigrate to Australia one day but from doing the points test we are now 5 points short - at one time i know you could invest but not sure about this option anymore so i was wondering can a first cousin offer sponsorship.
I will be the main applicant as a hairdresser but the cousin is my husbands would this a problem and are there any restrictions? Hubbies cousin now lives in Sydney with his Australian wife (married this year) - cousin has been in Australia for about 3 years with her before that they both lived together over here (UK) for about 2 years.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Love Sam
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a 1st cousin offer sponsorship?????

When I applied 5 years ago yes. They needed to be a citizen, over 18 and earning over about $40K as they have to fill out paper work as an assurance of support.

If I'm wrong Jaj will be around in the morning to help you out i've no doubt
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

turkey is on a distinguished road

I am not sure, but don't they have to be your cousin as you are the main applicant.

Have you tried state sponsorship, you only need 100 points for that.

I am sure an agent will put you straight. Put the question on immigration.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi all
We are hoping to emigrate to Australia one day but from doing the points test we are now 5 points short - at one time i know you could invest but not sure about this option anymore so i was wondering can a first cousin offer sponsorship.
I will be the main applicant as a hairdresser but the cousin is my husbands would this a problem and are there any restrictions? Hubbies cousin now lives in Sydney with his Australian wife (married this year) - cousin has been in Australia for about 3 years with her before that they both lived together over here (UK) for about 2 years.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Love Sam
Yes your husbands cousin could sponsor you, however I think that the problem would be with them living in Sydney it is not one of the designated areas...dont quote me on that tho source
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

According to the DIAC website, your husband's cousin cannot sponsor you for a Subclass 176 visa. According to the same website, however, your husband's cousin could be your sponsor for a Subclass 475 visa assuming they meet the eligibility requirements.

I'm sure a registered migration agent will come along and confirm in due course.

Last edited by AHamm; Dec 17th 2007 at 1:53 am.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:46 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AHamm
According to the DIAC website, your husband's cousin cannot sponsor you for a Subclass 176 visa. According to the same website, however, your husband's cousin could be your sponsor for a Subclass 475 visa assuming they meet the eligibility requirements.

I'm sure a registered migration agent will come along and confirm in due course.
Hi Sam,

Basically the cousin could sponsor you both for the subclass 475 visa if the cousin was resident in a regional area. Doesn't matter which partner is related to the sponsoring relative. However, Sydney isn't regional so I guess that's what your question was and that's the answer.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Sam,

Basically the cousin could sponsor you both for the subclass 475 visa if the cousin was resident in a regional area. Doesn't matter which partner is related to the sponsoring relative. However, Sydney isn't regional so I guess that's what your question was and that's the answer.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Could I ask is Melbourne classed as regional? It states Victoria (anywhere) is a Designated area on the immigration website, so I'm assuming that covers all postcodes? If so, could a first cousin based in Melbourne (for well over the required amount of time) sponsor through a 475 visa?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:51 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
Could I ask is Melbourne classed as regional? It states Victoria (anywhere) is a Designated area on the immigration website, so I'm assuming that covers all postcodes? If so, could a first cousin based in Melbourne (for well over the required amount of time) sponsor through a 475 visa?

Thanks in advance
It certainly was on the old 496 visa (skilled designated area sponsored) - which has now been replaced by 475.
My partner's first cousin is sponsoring us from Melbourne.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply CynOpt.

I thought Melbourne should be okay but someone cast a doubt in our minds. It was suggested that my First Cousin couldn't sponsor us as she 'does not live in a regional area of Australia'. I was worried as it seems quite clear on the DIAC site that all of Victoria is classed as a 'Designated Area'. It seems only Brisbane, Sydney & Perth have postcode exceptions...

Good luck with your application!