buying a small business

Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future
Default buying a small business

Is it possible to buy a small business,garage workshop,corner shop etc in Australia and then gain a visa. I have read a bit about the business visa which involves investing quite a lot of money. I have seen a few small garage/tyre workshops for sale around the Perth area which are up for sale for a lot less the amount quoted for investment in the above visa. I imagine the answer will be no you can't, but keeping my fingers crossed as i'm running out of options. We did have a Transport Company running about 12 trucks so i know what is involved with transport etc. Would it be possible to buy a truck in OZ and become an owner-driver,would this help at all. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated on this.

Regards,
Dean
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Smile Re: buying a small business

Sorry, No you can't!

I wish it were that easy! You actually need to own or have a share in a business with a turnover of at least $300,000 for at least 2 out of the last 4 years. (sponsored business 163)

This is the lowest set of criteria you would need to achieve. We are hoping to go down this route next year. We've been trying to increase turnover to meet this criteria unsuccessfully! Hence why we're still in the UK!

I've considered the student visa too, but it is sooooooooo expensive plus we'd need to pay for both kids schooling. So we decided to persevere with the business route as it will leave us better off financially.

Good luck!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: buying a small business

i looked into this idea a few yrs ago, i wanted to buy a coffee shop and did all my reasearch on it how much the business was etc then got told nope u cant buy a business in australia without a turnover in your business ^ as above :curse: my option is to get the student visa and do a course for 2 years then because my daughters been there 2 years ( aussie citizen by decent ) i can get sponsored OR it will open other doors with a trade on the MODL list, just hope it doesnt get taken off the list lol. down side to all of it is its not cheap and im going to av to get a bit of overtime in soon to start saving up.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road
Default Re: buying a small business

Hi Dean, thats what we are doing too. We applied to victoria for a 163 visa and got it. Here in the uk we run 3 trucks, at the time when we applied it was just 2. We are hoping to go over at the end of the year to start up. Main points you have to meet in oz are turnover and a certain amount of assets also employ at least 1 australian. You have 4 years in which to do this. We are hopefully going to buy either 2 eight wheel tippers or 6 wheelers. Cant afford the truck and dog thing! Both of us drive so if we can sub contract to some earthmover it should be okay. Then we can build business up and try to employ another person.