Bugger

Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

RichyT23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Bugger

I have 6 years experience and professional qualifications but no degree or diploma.

The statement below is from the ACS website, is this going to bugger my chances??

"Applicants who apply for RPL and do not hold a recognised academic tertiary qualification will have deducted from their total work experience a period of relevant IT professional experience deemed necessary to have reached the level of qualification allocated. For example, if an applicant is allocated a qualification level equivalent to a 2-year diploma, they will have two years deducted from the total of their recognized work experience, and therefore eight years in total will be needed."

Cheers
Richie
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugger

Originally Posted by RichyT23
I have 6 years experience and professional qualifications but no degree or diploma.

The statement below is from the ACS website, is this going to bugger my chances??

"Applicants who apply for RPL and do not hold a recognised academic tertiary qualification will have deducted from their total work experience a period of relevant IT professional experience deemed necessary to have reached the level of qualification allocated. For example, if an applicant is allocated a qualification level equivalent to a 2-year diploma, they will have two years deducted from the total of their recognized work experience, and therefore eight years in total will be needed."

Cheers
Richie
What professional qualifications do you have?

Jeremy
Old Jan 31st 2005, 12:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Richie, it depends on your quals (as JAJ suggested). If you have an MCSE then you could get through as group B (i.e. no RPL) but a lot of other IT industry quals are not recognised by the ACS. If you don't have a recognised qualification then you are struggling because an RPL essentially requires 8 years experience behind it.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Bugger

Originally Posted by JAJ
What professional qualifications do you have?

Jeremy
Unix Administration
ITIL SME
Old Jan 31st 2005, 6:48 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Unix Administration
ITIL SME
If I were you I would speak to an expert (agent) for some proper advice but my instinct is that you don't meet the criteria for group B.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
If I were you I would speak to an expert (agent) for some proper advice but my instinct is that you don't meet the criteria for group B.
The only industry certifications currently accepted by ACS are MCSE, MCSD, CLP and CNE. Professional membership of the British Computer Society is no longer accepted.

The ACS rules for RPL insist on 8 years work experience unless you have an academic tertiary qualification equal at least to an Australian diploma, in which case it drops to 6 years. This qualification does not have to be in IT - it can be in anything.

The original poster should see a good agent to be sure, but I would not be hopeful.

Jeremy
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Bugger

Originally Posted by JAJ
The only industry certifications currently accepted by ACS are MCSE, MCSD, CLP and CNE. Professional membership of the British Computer Society is no longer accepted.

The ACS rules for RPL insist on 8 years work experience unless you have an academic tertiary qualification equal at least to an Australian diploma, in which case it drops to 6 years. This qualification does not have to be in IT - it can be in anything.

The original poster should see a good agent to be sure, but I would not be hopeful.

Jeremy
Thanks for your help,

Looks like I am waiting a few years then.

Cheers
Richie
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks for your help,

Looks like I am waiting a few years then.

Cheers
Richie
Or get an MCSE - although bear in mind that ACS could change its rules on this anytime and by the time you have your MCSE it may no longer be accepted. They could also refuse your application if they didn't think you had 6 years professional IT experience (they are less keen on technician experience).

You should get some professional advice before proceeding.

Jeremy