Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

British Passport by descent, documentation needed

British Passport by descent, documentation needed

Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

oliver.fisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passport by descent, documentation needed

I'm currently in the process of trying to apply for a British passport from Australia but i'm not sure if i have all the documentation that is needed. I've tried contacting gov.uk and a couple of embassies in Australia but they keep trying to redirect me someonwhere else.

I've recently been trying to fill out an application for a British Passport using the C1 form and i've had a bit of a problem with a few of the questions. I'm applying to get citizenship by descent based on my Mother being born outside the UK whilst her father was under crown service.

I was not sure if i should put down my mother name as her maiden name as is in her British Passport that i have of hers, the name that she had at the time of my birth or her current surname which is different to mine due to her remarrying. I was thinking that i would just put down the name that was listed on my birth certificate so as not to have any hassles. Also i assume i just leave the part blank for my Father's information as he was not a british citizen.

In the checklist it says that they require a "Letter from the Defence records office or relevant government department confirming that the applicant’s grandfather was recruited in the United Kingdom and was still in crown service at the time of the applicant’s mother’s birth." I haven't been able to find any official service letter however my mothers birth certificate shows her Father's rank and occupation as well as the place of birth being at the British Military hospital in Hostert, Germany. The birth certificate is also by the command of The British Army of the Rhine. I also have my grandfather's passport that was valid when my mother was born and this says that he was an army officer,Would this be sufficient? I also have some records of purchases that he made which states him in the army though nothing from the actual army.

And there was one other part in the checklist where it requires my mothers British passport. It doesn't specifiy if they want a current passport or if an expired one would do. I was hoping that the expired one would suffice.

So if anyone could shed some light on any of my question then i would be extremely greatfull.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passport by descent, documentation needed

- Put your mother's name as she is known now e.g. shown on her current passport whether it is British or otherwise. You will need to provide a documented link between her current name and the name shown on both your and her birth certificate e.g. marriage/divorce certificates if there has been a change/changes in name.

- You will need to include your father's information and the details of your parents' marriage (if married) regardless of his nationality.

- They could require you to apply for a letter from the MoD confirming the dates of your grandfather's service and the place he was recruited as this needs to have been in the UK to qualify as crown service for nationality purposes. If your grandfather was an officer, then it generally accepted he was recruited in the UK (as all British army officers have to attend Sandhurst). Whether it would be considered sufficient evidence is up to the Passport Examiner concerned.

- Anything else you can send in to help prove your claim and link of names, such as old British passports belonging to your grandfather/mother, is helpful.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your answers,

How would I go about obtaining a service letter from the MoD? His rank was captain so he was an officer. He was originally part if the British Indian Army, but was with the British army during my Mothers birth. I forgot to mention that he was originally born in India, would this change anything?
Old Apr 28th 2013, 11:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver.fisher
Thank you for your answers,

How would I go about obtaining a service letter from the MoD? His rank was captain so he was an officer. He was originally part if the British Indian Army, but was with the British army during my Mothers birth. I forgot to mention that he was originally born in India, would this change anything?
For service record requests, contact the MOD here:

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records

It shouldn't matter that your grandfather was born in India as he was likely a Citizen of the UK and Colonies in crown service at the time of your mother's birth, so his birthplace becomes a moot point. You might need to clarify how he was recruited into the British Army however if he was originally a British Indian Army officer.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Her current passoprt ( Australian) is still under my surname, would that mean that i don't need the second marriage certificate. Also do i need to include her current Australian passport or is an old British one enough?