British Merchant Navy

Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Merchant Navy

Originally Posted by Fernz14
Hi Sparkles,Did DIBP consider your complete work Experience or only your sail periods for work experience points.
Am not too sure how to fill out my EOI.
I'm not a sailor, I'm a sparky
Old May 28th 2014, 12:44 am
Just Joined

ZenithOcean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to reply here. So yes I went through the process, got my certification assessed, flew to Australia to take the oral and medical, then applied for a 189 visa. I am now living in Sydney and working offshore.

I have posted in more detail on another forum (PIO) and there are a few more seafarers who have been through the process. In my experience the oral was very thorough and as tough as my original MCA Masters Oral.

The cost was obviously concerning, and flying over to do the oral without knowing you will pass is a worry (I know of another Brit who went, failed and had to fly back a month later).

A new stipulation on the Immigration website (that didn't affect me) is you need police clearances for all flag states where you've served a cumulative of more then 12 months seatime on... A little ridiculous.

After obtaining the visa I found a lot of the jobs aren't so keen to take you on unless you are already in country, catch 22. There is definitely work with a Masters tickets, pilotage, marine surveyor (AMSA) and shore side, but also some work offshore.
Old May 28th 2014, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Zenith,did you get your assessment completed.What were comments from AMSA.
Have heard that DIBP only calculate Work Experince based on Sea Time and not our Leave period...irrespective of AMSA work assessment
AMSA provide a letter after you have done the oral, which includes an assessment of your time in employment, time on leave is taken into accounts. DIBP accept whatever AMSA says on the letter.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Fernz14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZenithOcean
Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to reply here. So yes I went through the process, got my certification assessed, flew to Australia to take the oral and medical, then applied for a 189 visa. I am now living in Sydney and working offshore.

I have posted in more detail on another forum (PIO) and there are a few more seafarers who have been through the process. In my experience the oral was very thorough and as tough as my original MCA Masters Oral.

The cost was obviously concerning, and flying over to do the oral without knowing you will pass is a worry (I know of another Brit who went, failed and had to fly back a month later).

A new stipulation on the Immigration website (that didn't affect me) is you need police clearances for all flag states where you've served a cumulative of more then 12 months seatime on... A little ridiculous.

After obtaining the visa I found a lot of the jobs aren't so keen to take you on unless you are already in country, catch 22. There is definitely work with a Masters tickets, pilotage, marine surveyor (AMSA) and shore side, but also some work offshore.
Thanks Zenith,
Have got a CO allocated and as per your mail they have asked for Flag state police Clearances.Wonder how they expect us to get these.
How's it working offshore.Do you work in Perth and Fly across back home to Sydney .
Old May 28th 2014, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Zenith,
Have got a CO allocated and as per your mail they have asked for Flag state police Clearances.Wonder how they expect us to get these.
How's it working offshore.Do you work in Perth and Fly across back home to Sydney .
http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/ch...uirements.aspx. should tell you how to obtain police clearances.
Old May 28th 2014, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/ch...uirements.aspx. should tell you how to obtain police clearances.
Sadly much easier said then done, seafarers work onboard ships with what's called 'flag if convenience' so the ship may be registered in an obscure country that the ship and/or seafarer may never visit and most certainly won't have had a residential address there. A very complex situation for those going through the process now. Thankfully when I did it last year I never had to jump through that hoop.
Old May 28th 2014, 3:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZenithOcean
Sadly much easier said then done, seafarers work onboard ships with what's called 'flag if convenience' so the ship may be registered in an obscure country that the ship and/or seafarer may never visit and most certainly won't have had a residential address there. A very complex situation for those going through the process now. Thankfully when I did it last year I never had to jump through that hoop.
Its tricky for non-seafarers at times too, some countries will nt do checks for non residents. All you can do is get the checks that you can, then advise your case officer of the situation. They are used to having some countries refuse, and there are usually ways around it, such as Stat Decs to sapy that you have tried to get the check but been refused