British Engineer to Australia

Old May 4th 2020, 8:51 am
Just Joined

JamesFoster1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Engineer to Australia

Hi,
There's a lot of information to take in with the different visa routes and was hoping someone can assist.

I am 34, electronics/telecommunication engineer with 5-8 years experience with a BSc physics, MSc telecoms (not research based masters so no extra 5 points) and all degrees were obtained in UK. I also have UK chartered engineer status (chartered I read doesn't help). My partner has no relevant skills but is British too.

I would like to move permanently because we love it out there and we are now thinking of getting the process started but...
  • Do you guys take an English exam to boost your chances and points?
  • Do you first apply for a job and then ask them to help with visa application?
  • The 189 and 190 visa show quite high scores, below 90 is not successful. Which I think requires me to get a PhD to be successful applicant. It's not worth applying if below 90?
  • Do your financial savings assist your application?
It's quite tricky deciding what visa to think about choosing.

I thought my skillset would be easy to get me into Australia because I'm in a highly paid job in UK with skills in demand but Australia seems another level ...
Thanks
James
Old May 4th 2020, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Engineer to Australia

Originally Posted by JamesFoster1
Hi,
There's a lot of information to take in with the different visa routes and was hoping someone can assist.

I am 34, electronics/telecommunication engineer with 5-8 years experience with a BSc physics, MSc telecoms (not research based masters so no extra 5 points) and all degrees were obtained in UK. I also have UK chartered engineer status (chartered I read doesn't help). My partner has no relevant skills but is British too.

I would like to move permanently because we love it out there and we are now thinking of getting the process started but...
  • Do you guys take an English exam to boost your chances and points?
  • Do you first apply for a job and then ask them to help with visa application?
  • The 189 and 190 visa show quite high scores, below 90 is not successful. Which I think requires me to get a PhD to be successful applicant. It's not worth applying if below 90?
  • Do your financial savings assist your application?
It's quite tricky deciding what visa to think about choosing.

I thought my skillset would be easy to get me into Australia because I'm in a highly paid job in UK with skills in demand but Australia seems another level ...
Thanks
James
- Most applicants need this to get sufficient points
- This is generally difficult if you are offshore
- For the 189 at the moment, probably not. The 190 is a different animal and requires State nomination, not necessarily high points
- No

It's never 'easy' but if you have the correct skills and experience, and often some flexibility on location, then it is "doable".