Bringing an adopted child to Australia

Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Default Bringing an adopted child to Australia

Hello,

I am in the process of adopting a child from abroad. I hold an Australian PR visa and I have a citizenship of the country in question. I am currently abroad, but I am planning to return to Australia early next year.

I was wondering, how can I bring the child to Australia with me. I already had PM, as I started the adoption process. Could I apply for a temporary visa for the child and then get him a bridge visa and eventually PR in Australia? Or should I apply directly for an adoption visa?

The child is not related to me, but an orphan/abandonned child and I am going through the official adoption process of the country in question.

Cheers,

Gere
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:43 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bringing an adopted child to Australia

Hi Gere,

If you want to do the paperwork yourself, this is the starting point for your reading and research.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/child/102/

Regards,

Les
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice

Thanks Les,

I am familiar with that link. However, it is a little vague, when it comes to privately organised adoptions. I was hoping that here would be someone, who has done it before and could give some info for example about processing times and about the process in general.

The link also seems to suggest, that I would have to be in Australia myself, when I apply for the visa for the child. However, I was hoping to return to Australia with him ie. apply for his visa from outside the country and I was wondering, whether this is possible.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:59 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

The length of the process is individual and the mechanics depends on the actual country you are adopting in, whether or not it is a Hague Convention adoption etc

Other factors include whether you are in a spousal relationship and, if so, what type. The length of time you have been living outside of Australia is also a factor.

Quite complex, actually.

Last edited by Les Mighalls; Dec 17th 2009 at 2:38 pm.