bit of a tough one

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

keith999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bit of a tough one

Im divorced from my wife and moved back to the UK, long story she wasn't very pleasent to me. Anyway it looks like she is seriously ill so Im going to have to move back to Australia to take care of my son. My question is I am in a new relationship, we were about to move in together now, and thats kind of off now as I will have to rush back to take care of my son.

What kind of visa will I need for my girlfriend. We havent lived together yet and have been together for about a year. I was thinking Id go over first to take care of my son as hes my main concern. I was thinking worst comes to worse she could always get a work visa for a year, she also has a masters in forensic science and a bacholors in biomedical science.

I dont know if we will stay living in australia anyway. My ex was a bit of a nightmare, hence the need to move to the UK.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bit of a tough one

Originally Posted by keith999
Im divorced from my wife and moved back to the UK, long story she wasn't very pleasent to me. Anyway it looks like she is seriously ill so Im going to have to move back to Australia to take care of my son. My question is I am in a new relationship, we were about to move in together now, and thats kind of off now as I will have to rush back to take care of my son.

What kind of visa will I need for my girlfriend. We havent lived together yet and have been together for about a year. I was thinking Id go over first to take care of my son as hes my main concern. I was thinking worst comes to worse she could always get a work visa for a year, she also has a masters in forensic science and a bacholors in biomedical science.

I dont know if we will stay living in australia anyway. My ex was a bit of a nightmare, hence the need to move to the UK.
Keith, I hope I don't come across as a suspicious old cow but your story is similar in some ways to a couple I know and I just wanted to ask if you're sure that your ex is actually ill. The reason I mention it is that the ex in the couple I know told her husband exactly the same thing, and he dropped everything to be with his kids (all credit to him), only to find that she wasn't sick at all, just wanted to make it hard for him in his new relationship. Please ignore me totally if this isn't relevant to your situation!

Some clever people will be along shortly with visa advice Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Keith, I hope I don't come across as a suspicious old cow but your story is similar in some ways to a couple I know and I just wanted to ask if you're sure that your ex is actually ill. The reason I mention it is that the ex in the couple I know told her husband exactly the same thing, and he dropped everything to be with his kids (all credit to him), only to find that she wasn't sick at all, just wanted to make it hard for him in his new relationship. Please ignore me totally if this isn't relevant to your situation!

Some clever people will be along shortly with visa advice Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.
Funny you ask because yes my ex wife is quite capable of making stuff up. I really dont know what to think. Its been tough being away from my son, only stayed for his sake. Shes telling me she has Leukemia so it means dropping everything to be with my son as hes only 9
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you ask because yes my ex wife is quite capable of making stuff up. I really dont know what to think. Its been tough being away from my son, only stayed for his sake. Shes telling me she has Leukemia so it means dropping everything to be with my son as hes only 9
Such a hard situation for you to be in, Keith. Is there anyone in Oz that knows your ex, that you could get in touch with? Failing that, it sounds like you might have to bite the (expensive) bullet and come and see for yourself. If your ex really is that sick, is bringing your son back to the UK with you an option? I know she'd need to agree to that but if she can't care for him she might be willing?

Really sorry things are so horrible for you right now
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Shes burned all her bridges so she has nobody and she wouldnt let me bring him here. Im trying to get some kind of confirmation rather than rushing out there.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Shes burned all her bridges so she has nobody and she wouldnt let me bring him here. Im trying to get some kind of confirmation rather than rushing out there.
The thing is, Leukaemia is a very treatable disease, depending on the type and stage, with proper treatment you are looking at a survival time of years, so don't throw your new life away because of a panic.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Visa-wise, the only kind of year long work visa is a WHV - she will need to be under 31 for that.
She will not qualify on de facto grounds as you haven't lived together; you'd need to either look at marrying and getting a Spouse Visa, or a Prospective Marriage Visa which means marrying within 9 months of grant.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Unless she qualifies for GSM in her own right.....
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping there might be some kind of extenuating circumstances as the only reason Im going back to live in australia is for my sons sake. My partner is under 30. I dont know how long we would stay. I'm thinking of whats best for him as hes australian hoping the immigration wont make me jump through too many hoops, and Im a perm resident.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Unless she qualifies for GSM in her own right.....
Indeed, not sure why he was only mentioning a year's visa?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping there might be some kind of extenuating circumstances as the only reason Im going back to live in australia is for my sons sake. My partner is under 30. I dont know how long we would stay. I'm thinking of whats best for him as hes australian hoping the immigration wont make me jump through too many hoops, and Im a perm resident.
No there are no exceptions or allowances, she needs to get a visa. The WHV won't be an option because she will be with you and the child, a "step child" counts as child.

You need to either go without her, get married, plan to get married or she needs to find her own work related visa. But firstly, you need to validate the story, it does sound like it could be fishy, especially as you embark on a new life..why not tell her she needs to move back to UK if she really needs your help.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:14 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused - on another thread you said you were getting back with your ex so I'm not sure which version is correct?

Ok here goes, broke up with aussie wife last year, went back to the uk, after a while we both realized we'd made a mistake. Been trying to work out ways for me to come back and its been over a year. She first of all bought me a one way ticket, I bottled it, changed the date then never got on the flight so she lost 1300 dollers.

So then I bought a return ticket and bottled it at the last minute, 1000 pounds down the drain. Apart from a kick up the ass and a lobotomy will the immigration when I return think I am a little odd wasting airline tickets or does that kind of thing not bother them.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798838

Whichever one it is, perhaps you could correct the appropriate thread, it's annoying when people go out of their way to give help and advice to something which is no longer applicable..
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Given your thread from a month ago, my suspicions are raised a bit on this one.

Based on both that thread and this one, I think you first need to decide if you would prefer to stay with your girlfriend, or end that and try to get back together with your ex-wife. If you decide to remain with your girlfriend, then I'd suggest looking into a definite visa option for her (e.g. are you serious, is she a marriage prospect?).