Birth Certificates

Old Jul 15th 2002, 2:20 pm
Lassie

Default Birth Certificates

Inquiry,

Is it standard, for DIMA to request for original birth certificates? We submitted
certified copies and apparently this does not seem to be sufficient.

Liz, Skilled Independent Migrant

Old Jul 15th 2002, 10:46 pm
ndaltonb

Default Re: Birth Certificates

Hi Lassie,

Havn't heard that one before. Have you tried calling DIMA to ask why, as a birth certificate is quite a precious document.

Maybe one of the exprets can help.

nigel db

Old Jul 15th 2002, 10:54 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an inexperienced case officer to me ...

If you are in the UK it might be worth obtaining copies directly from the Registrar of Births, etc - these don't cost a lot to obtain and should keep the case officer happy as they don't look like certified photocopies.

Alternatively you might want to argue the point with the officer, as in law certified copies are (I believe) equivalent to the original versions, but this approach could take longer.

If you have an agent he/she should perhaps also take up this point with the Department of Immigration through the MIA (assuming he/she is a member).

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:21 am
George Lombard

Hi Liz,

Sometimes DIMIA requests the originals to confirm that the copies are genuine
(rarely), and sometimes they request full birth certificates instead of extracts. The
basic rule is give them whatever they ask for...

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Lassie wrote in message ...
    >Inquiry,
    >
    >Is it standard, for DIMA to request for original birth certificates? We submitted
    >certified copies and apparently this does not seem to be sufficient.
    >
    >Liz, Skilled Independent Migrant

Old Jul 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Max

Default Re: Birth Certificate - Please Help

Hi everyone, Constantly checking the posts in this great NG I got the impression that
the full version of birth certificate (the one showing the names of both of your
parents) is a total "must" for submission to DIMIA. Now the story goes like this:
having been born in Russia and having immigrated to Israel at the age of 16 (with no
parents and hardly any documents) the only evidence of my birth I can present is that
of the Israeli Ministry of Interior that is based on my declaration concerning my
birth date, names of my parents etc. that was made back then - but that is NOT a
birthday certificate! Considering the fact that the original one is somewhere in the
basements of some Russian Instituition (and no way am I going back there!)my question
is: Can I submit to the DIMIA a Statutory Declaration explaining all this and still
get a positive answer or the whole process is gonna be doomed because of this now?
Thanks a lot to anyone who can help on this

Max