Birth Certificate - I was adopted

Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Goochc0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birth Certificate - I was adopted

Can anyone help - I don't know if anyone has come across this before.

I am applying for a student Visa for 2 years and then applying later for PR or SIR depending upon points

I was adopted when I was nine years old - firstly I need to find out where to get my original birth certificate (don't I)

Then do I need to explain my adoption and claim I had a past name or does the legalities of adoption change all of that??????

I have a short birth certificate with my adopted name on but no full certificate.

Confused and bewildered!!!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:49 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Birth Certificate - I was adopted

Do not panic!

Go to the following link. You can apply for your adoption and birth certificates on line. Not too expensive either.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If you need anymore help the let me know.

Rob

Originally posted by Goochc0

I am applying for a student Visa for 2 years and then applying later for PR or SIR depending upon points

I was adopted when I was nine years old - firstly I need to find out where to get my original birth certificate (don't I)

Then do I need to explain my adoption and claim I had a past name or does the legalities of adoption change all of that??????

I have a short birth certificate with my adopted name on but no full certificate.

Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:51 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I know nothing about adoption but to get your full Birth cert you need to contact the registrar of births death and marriages where you birth was registered.

Kala
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:03 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kala,

The link http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ is now a central database for England and any certificates can be ordered online.

Very good service so i am told

Originally posted by kala
I know nothing about adoption but to get your full Birth cert you need to contact the registrar of births death and marriages where you birth was registered.

Kala
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:08 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Hi Kala,

The link http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ is now a central database for England and any certificates can be ordered online.

Very good service so i am told
cool, gotta be better than the scary woman at the town hall!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:04 am
Just Joined

bananaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if it applies to your particular case but gf also required certificate of adoption / adoption papers when our Skilled Independent application was submitted. We also gave all previous names, etc as some forms specifically asked for that info.

Bananaman
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm adopted so I was in the same boat as you. Just give the General Registers Office a call and they should be able to help you. They sent me a copy of my birth certificate (though it won't be a 'full' one with your parents' names on it) within a couple of days of the request. You just use this in conjuction with your adoption certificate. I think it cost about £20 to get the certificate and I just paid over the phone using my debit card.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I sent off my short birth cert
with all the details of the court where the adoption took place
time date and all that

BUT im not sure what your history is as i was adopted by my dad
NOT mum so depending on the case it may differ

if i were you id get a full birth cert and get a copy of both certified

hope this helps
michelle
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:22 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

No worries!

Mrs Rog was born under one name, her mother divorced and remarried so the Stepfather adopted her formally (name #2)

She then married (name #3) and later on divorced.

We married 30 years ago (#4)!

Just have documentation/letter showing clear path to present name and you should be OK.

if you can't find the registrar where you were born, phone the local one and ask - they are very helpful.

Good luck!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:37 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

The link that i posted for the birth certificates is spot on. Adoption certificates take around 5 days to be mailed out to you.

Hope it helps

Rob

Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

I have further problems

I don't know where I was born or registered to send for the certificate and I don't know Mother's name (Maiden or First names)

Where can I find this information out
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:51 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Just sent you an e-mail.

Rob

I have further problems

I don't know where I was born or registered to send for the certificate and I don't know Mother's name (Maiden or First names)

Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:54 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

The info i just sent to you was from an enquiry that i did.

If you need anymore info then please let me know

Rob

I have further problems

Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Rob

I really appreciate the help you have given me.

I have managed to find out where my birth was registered and my mothers Maiden Name by using one of those geneology sites and signing up to check microfiches of Births Marriages and Deaths.

All I need is mothers christian name and this should be enough - fingers crossed.

Then I can order the damn thing.

If not I will have to follow advice you sent me - but this will take ages - hoping to be in OZ studying by January 2005.

Thanks again

You're a star!!!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:58 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

No problem at all.

Thats the great thing about this forum. Everyone is so helpful and you can build up good 'relationships' with people who go out there way to help.

I wouldn't have got this far if it wasn't for the advice and kind help that everyone has given to me.

Rob (Still waiting for the AIM skills assessment)

Rob

I really appreciate the help you have given me.

I have managed to find out where my birth was registered and my mothers Maiden Name by using one of those geneology sites and signing up to check microfiches of Births Marriages and Deaths.

All I need is mothers christian name and this should be enough - fingers crossed.

Then I can order the damn thing.

If not I will have to follow advice you sent me - but this will take ages - hoping to be in OZ studying by January 2005.

Thanks again

You're a star!!!!!!