BCS Chartered versus RPL

Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

oakton is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face BCS Chartered versus RPL

Hi,
I have 8 years good experience in IT Security and another 3 which i am finding it difficult to get good references from.

I know to go ACS RPL route I need 6 years for 60 points basic requirement as I dont have a degree.

I am also a member of the british computer society, i am in the process of going for Chartered membership of the BCS and that the ACS consider this equivilent to a degree and that RPL is no longer necessary should I have this in time.

My question is that if I have BCS chartered instead of doing RPL do they still take off 2 years experience, i.e. need 6 years still for basic requirement (deeming date) or will 4 years suffice?

If I still need 6 years then I wont have an extra 3 good years for 10 points work experience

Any advice appreciated!!!

QUESTION 2:-
To complete the RPL I have seen people state that you shouldn't just fill in the form but write the RPL in a separate document. If this is the case what do you put in the form fields, merely keep stating 'refer to RPL document' or put a subsection of the data, or leave it blank?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:12 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BCS Chartered versus RPL

Originally Posted by oakton
My question is that if I have BCS chartered instead of doing RPL do they still take off 2 years experience, i.e. need 6 years still for basic requirement (deeming date) or will 4 years suffice?
If you are a full professional member of the BCS, then you meet group A criteria for qualifications and only need 4 years experience.
QUESTION 2:-
To complete the RPL I have seen people state that you shouldn't just fill in the form but write the RPL in a separate document. If this is the case what do you put in the form fields, merely keep stating 'refer to RPL document' or put a subsection of the data, or leave it blank?
Fill in the boxes on the pages with contact details, etc but just leave out completely the pages with the boxes to describe your BOK experience / learning and include your own free-text version.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:03 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
If you are a full professional member of the BCS, then you meet group A criteria for qualifications and only need 4 years experience.

Fill in the boxes on the pages with contact details, etc but just leave out completely the pages with the boxes to describe your BOK experience / learning and include your own free-text version.
Hi WM,

... CBOK (Core Body of Knowledge) ....

Actually I don't favour reformatting the RPL form completely as it's obviously laid out like that so the examiner can make notes and there are a lot of sensible uses which can be made of the left hand column in the RPL form. That being said, it might be time for ACS to invest in a professional form design :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:17 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Actually I don't favour reformatting the RPL form completely
George, all the examples I've seen ignored the form to some degree and those applicants were passed as suitable.
I totally agree though that it needs a rethink. For an organisation with all that computing brainpower, it's the least you should expect! Oh, except for a reliable trackinog web page
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

oakton is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: BCS Chartered versus RPL

Does professional membership of the BCS count or do I need to wait for chartered?
Main question was that if I have BCS membership and therefore dont have to go through RPL do I still need 6 years experience or will 4 do?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by oakton
Does professional membership of the BCS count or do I need to wait for chartered?
Main question was that if I have BCS membership and therefore dont have to go through RPL do I still need 6 years experience or will 4 do?
Oh yeah right ..... The rules changed slightly when BCS changed their membership requirements. Yes, you need to be chartered for ACS assessment purposes. And if you are a BCS chartered member, you only need 4 years experience to back it up
Old Aug 16th 2004, 8:13 pm
Board Admin

I disagree, from reading the current guidlines it only states you need
to be full professional member of BCS to qualify under catagory A. The
change that has been made is that you need to be Chartered in order to
qualify as a member of the ACS. Also if Chartered your application for
assesment by the ACS is only $100 as opposed to $350.

wmoore <member22399@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > Does professional membership of the BCS count or do I need to
    > > wait for chartered?
    > > Main question was that if I have BCS membership and therefore
    > > dont have to go through RPL do I still need 6 years experience or
    > > will 4 do?
    >
    > Oh yeah right ..... The rules changed slightly when BCS changed their
    > membership requirements. Yes, you need to be chartered for ACS
    > assessment purposes. And if you are a BCS chartered member, you only
    > need 4 years experience to back it up