Balance of Family

Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

DW007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Balance of Family

I am being sponsored on a 457 to move to Oz with my immediate family. My wife wants her mum to come with us but despite her other kids being in their late 30's she doesnt seem to meet the BOF test as one lives in the Uk and one in Florida.

Does anyone have experience of this and know if there are any exceptions/appeals? she will be wholly dependent upon us when we move. It seems daft that in New Zealand she would qualify yet in Oz any parent with 3 children cannot qualify whatever the combination?

Any advice?

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balance of Family

Originally Posted by DW007
I am being sponsored on a 457 to move to Oz with my immediate family. My wife wants her mum to come with us but despite her other kids being in their late 30's she doesnt seem to meet the BOF test as one lives in the Uk and one in Florida.

Does anyone have experience of this and know if there are any exceptions/appeals? she will be wholly dependent upon us when we move. It seems daft that in New Zealand she would qualify yet in Oz any parent with 3 children cannot qualify whatever the combination?

Any advice?

Thanks
Not quite true, a parent with 3 children would qualify if the balance of the family is right. The balance here wouldn't be right as there would be 2 chiildren outside Australia.
I'm not sure that with your family only on a temporary visa the balance of family test would work even if one of the other siblings were here too.

New Zealand has completely different immigration rules to Australia, in this and other areas.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Balance of Family

Polly's quite right. You have to be a parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident to qualify for that visa.

If your wife had permanent residency AND another sibling moved to Australia in the meantime THEN your mother-in-law would qualify.