bachelor degree from US - rejected

Old Aug 11th 2002, 2:12 pm
Alvin

Default bachelor degree from US - rejected

Hi all, just share my experience with you. I got my bachelor degree in double major
in Accounting and MIS (information systems) and had been working for more than 3
years in the IT industry and i had all the computer certificates with me e.g. MCSE,
Lotus, A+ ..... Recently. the ACS rejected my application as they said my degree is
only considered as a minor.

This is totally unacceptable to me, how can this happen? I am doing my Master in IS
here in AU, so the failure is somehow not important as i can do it later anyway.
Personally, I think i took more computer subjects than those in AU. I just have a
feeling that here don't really value the talented people (if i can claim as one)

Anyone has similar experience...???

Old Aug 11th 2002, 2:50 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bachelor degree from US - rejected

It really depends on your university course, as well as the subjects that you took while pursuing your bachelor's degree. Having a double major does not automatically equate to a major in computing by Aussie standards. The relative standing of your university is also taken into account by ACS, as provided by the Country Education Profile (CEP).

In any case, you should check with the ACS whether your Masters course is accredited by the ACS and categorized as Group A by them.

http://www.acs.org.au/COURS20_2.htm

Peter

Originally posted by Alvin:
I got my bachelor degree in double major in Accounting and MIS (information systems) and had been working for more than 3 years in the IT industry and i had all the computer certificates with me e.g. MCSE, Lotus, A+ ..... Recently. the ACS rejected my application as they said my degree is
only considered as a minor.
Old Aug 11th 2002, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Guneet is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Re: bachelor degree from US - rejected

Pete
I have gone thru the website, well, i was tryin to understand the difference between Associate Level & Professional Level accredation. Could you share your thoughts.

TIA
Guneet

http://www.acs.org.au/COURS20_2.htm

Peter

[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 11th 2002, 4:18 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: bachelor degree from US - rejected

I would think that a professional level accreditation will put you in Group A, while an associate level accreditation will dump you in Group B. But that's just a quick assumption on my part. I may be wrong. You may wish to look at this link:

http://members.acs.org.au/PROFF_ACCR51.htm#1

Before starting any course, it's always a good idea to check out the professional accreditation of the said course, so that you know what you're getting yourself into from the beginning.

Peter

Originally posted by Guneet:
I have gone thru the website, well, i was tryin to understand the difference between Associate Level & Professional Level accredation. Could you share your thoughts.
Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:35 am
Slipstream

The masters degree in Australia is becoming more diluted day by day. However your
University in Oz should be able to tell you what acs cred you can get. Most advertise
it. Also if you are ug accounting that also must count it is a degree in demand. talk
to your course supervisor immediately about ACS.

"Alvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, just share my experience with you. I got my bachelor degree in double
    > major in Accounting and MIS (information systems) and had been working for more
    > than 3 years in the IT industry and i had all the
computer
    > certificates with me e.g. MCSE, Lotus, A+ ..... Recently. the ACS
rejected
    > my application as they said my degree is only considered as a minor.
    > This is totally unacceptable to me, how can this happen? I am doing my Master in
    > IS here in AU, so the failure is somehow not important as i can
do
    > it later anyway. Personally, I think i took more computer subjects than those in
    > AU. I just have a feeling that here don't really value the talented people (if i
    > can claim as one)
    > Anyone has similar experience...???

Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:14 am
Emmarr

Did you get a Bachelor of Science in MIS as well as a Bachelor of Something in
Accounting? Or did you get a bachelor's degree in a combination of both? If its the
latter, then the ACS probably decided your IS courses were insufficient.

As an FYI: I have a BS in MIS from a US uni and sent in my course descriptions which
were photocopied from the catalog and stamped by the Registrar. Worked fine.