Autism and Meds - FURTHER ASSESSMENT

Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice
Default Autism and Meds - FURTHER ASSESSMENT

Sorry about the long title and I do realise that this has been done before.
We lodged Dec 17th 2007 and have seemed to have such a long wait. Now the meds and police checks are in and we thought all was well but had a letter Wed. Alex our 8 year old needs a full assessment as he has a diagnosis of mild autism and a receptive language disorder.
Alex does not have a statement of special needs and instead has an Individual Education Programme. This basically means we have a meeting with the teachers more than usual and that Alex has some 1 to 1 and small group work. A speech tharapist visits maybe 1 or 2 times ayear. Alex now gets 10 out of 10 for his spelling tests but needs a lot of input and patience. His maths is dreadful but he tries! He still needs input with times tables that most his peers manage.
Our GP sent a lot of info off with his med (our GP is fortunately a panel doctor) but more info is neede I think because he has not seen a consultant for nearly 2 years.
The info requested is a Consultant Developmental Paediatrician report or a Psychologist report. Alex needs CURRENT IQ assessment, school reports, Griffiths or Denver scoring and physical assessment. The panel want to know if he will be able to work in the future independantly and live independantly. We think he will but a diagnosis is a diagnosis and the Immigration board will check your child thoroughly.
I have searched threads on this since we started 2 years ago and it seems unfortunately still rather 'wooly'. I hope that Alex will be ok and that after so much time and money we can continue but at the end of the day when it comes to him he is what matters most and my husband and I do not even think we have the money or energy to appeal.
I have posted this because all parents with autistic / learning difficulty children search the threads and it is up to date. Any people requiring any further info on the letter sent can PM me and I would be pleased to tell you what they have asked for. We think it is just that our sons consultant input is a little dated and fully understand why the Govt. want / need this information.
Also, there is a time limit. We have been given 28 days - 3weeks for the reports and 1 week for postal allowance. This can be extended if we notify them we need more time. Otherwise we have been told they will make there decision on the current information available.

Hope we have good news to tell you all soon, Lou